depth of field preview

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i hate asking stupid questions, but ope, here comes one.

on my f3, when i press the DoF preview button, it focuses the originally blurred objects, but also darkens the viewfinder (significantly at smaller (f16, f22) f-stops). will the picture come out like this? because no matter what i set the aperture speed on, it always darkens it alot.

Yeh I have the same thing...and no it wont...I think its showing how much of the picture will be in focus (Strain on the I think) and that the light area is where it is most in focus...but I really dont think itll actually be dark like that...in fact I know it wont be :)

It darkens it because it is closing down the apeture to give you the depth of field preview... which lets in less light than when it is wide open.

Yes, you are seeing through the lens, so when you stop down the aperture, you are looking through a smaller hole...therfore getting less light.

However, you are looking at it constantly while the film will only see the light for a fraction of a second. The darker it appears to you, the longer the shutter will have to be open to expose the film.

wait, duh. thanks for the flapper guys.

artemis, do you have all those cameras? because that is a heck of alot. especially if you are 16. because i am too :-D. and that is like, wow. unless your parents are avid photographers, which would be deviously convenient.

The lens in a SLR remains at the widest aperture when you are viewing no matter what you have set the aperture to. This is to give you the maximum amount of light so you can compose and focus. When you press the shutter release, the lens goes to the aperture you have set before the shutter opens. DOF preview allows you to manually close to the aperture you have set. In most cameras the meter will read for the f/stop you have set, not what you are viewing (without DOF preview).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back