depth of field question

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Was just curious about how to read the depth of field calculations for this shot (and in general). I put in settings into the depth of field calculator and wanted to see if I got "everything" in focus in the landscape shot I was shooting. How can I tell?

I plugged in some numbers into an online calculator ... trying to interpret it. My focal length was 10 mm, using canon 70D, subject 4.29 meters away, hyperfocal distance calculated as 0.49 meters, aperture f/11.

There is a near focus distance (0.42m) and a far focus distance (infinity) that will be acceptably in focus.
The near limit will be 3.9 meters in front of the point of focus and the far limit will extend from there to infinity.
In effect, there is no far limit with that focal length, f-stop, and point of focus distance.

There is a near focus distance (0.42m) and a far focus distance (infinity) that will be acceptably in focus.
The near limit will be 3.9 meters in front of the point of focus and the far limit will extend from there to infinity.
In effect, there is no far limit with that focal length, f-stop, and point of focus distance.
Okay, so there is a limit in front (0.42m) so that anything between 0 and 0.42 meters will be slightly out of focus?
thanks

Anything from the image sensor in the camera to 3.9 m in front of the image sensor will be out of focus.
From 3.9 m in front of the image sensor to infinity will be acceptably sharp.

Anything from the image sensor in the camera to 3.9 m in front of the image sensor will be out of focus.
From 3.9 m in front of the image sensor to infinity will be acceptably sharp.
interesting. so could I have done a "better" job of focusing given that the main foreground element was 4.29 meters away and between 0 and 3.9 meters was pretty much small rocks and some water? I guess I could have focus stacked another image focused on something closer than the 4.29 meters, right? Or change the f/stop? Or is that what the hyperfocal distance is for? I was "supposed" to focus at 0.49 meters?

Most reactions

Back