Depth of Field with Long Lens

billybudd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
From the 25th floor, I shot aperture priority with a Nikon d-70, 80-200mm lens, a tall steeple 2 blocks away at 80mm focal length and 2.8 aperture. I am stunned at the depth of field. Buildings 10 blocks away are in excellent focus. When shooting at 2.8 aperture I am accustomed to no depth of field. What's going on? Thanks for the feedback, DV

Welcome to the forum.

My guess is...at that distance, you are already at infinity focus so everything past a certain distance will be in focus. To blur the background with a short DOF, you would have to get closer.

Three factors go into DOF. Aperature, focal length, and distance to subject. As the mentioned above your at infinity so your not going to get a thin DOF.

Actually, it's 2 factors:

Physical size of the aperture and the distance to the subject.

billybudd said:
... I shot aperture priority with a Nikon d-70, 80-200mm lens, a tall steeple 2 blocks away at 80mm focal length and 2.8 aperture. I am stunned at the depth of field. Buildings 10 blocks away are in excellent focus. When shooting at 2.8 aperture I am accustomed to no depth of field. What's going on?

For most 35mm lenses anything beyond 35' or 40' is going to be at "infinity". 2 city blocks is going to be well past infinity for almost any lens.

I'll second that there are 3 factors that go into DOF: aperture, focal length, and focus distance, but no matter what your f/stop and focal length if you include infinity in the DOF, then everything past what you are focusing on will be in focus (not considering atmospheric effects).

You can get a good sense of this by reading the scale on your lense barrel. It's a bit tougher to understand with a zoom lens. Take a look at a fixed focal legnth lens.

And yeah... I gotta agree, the longer the lens, the shallower the DOF.

Hope this helps.

-Pete Christie

Thank you for your thoughtful posts---I understand. DV

Most reactions

Back