Deserted Seaside Town - 56k

OBrien

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is Bray, a few miles out of Dublin. It used to be a very popular seaside resort, but has declined over the years, since we all started to fly off to France, Italy and Spain for some real sunshine. I had a wander along the seafront the other evening. It was grey and grim, but with the odd reminder of why people used to flock here.

Amusements-1.jpg

candyfloss-1copy.jpg

seasidefood-1copy.jpg

shell-1copy.jpg

prom-1copy.jpg

brayboat-1contrast.jpg

rowing-1.jpg

Oh, I do like these!
What a lovely coincidence that the weather wasn't particularly brilliant when you were there. I think the moody weather goes so well with the atmosphere of this abandoned seaside resort. Can't say I have ever been to Bray, not even in 1977, when I am sure it was still crowded on a fine summer's day. But at the time, we were too young...

Hard to pick a favourite out of these, they are all so good, but I sure like the fourth, which makes me think of Anua at once (wonder why :scratch: ), and I also wonder how much you rocked on your heels to get the fifth come out so right, with the fence being in line with the horizon, the wavey rod forming "the waves" of the sea?

And that beach scene in the sixth looks so very Irish to me...

All in all a wonderful series!
I love it.

They are so wonderful and so sad at the same time. Is it the first day of winter when it's time to settle in till spring . . . or is it the last day of winter when the boardwalk is about to open up again?!?

Wow..the first 5 are just excellent. Would love to wander around there. Great work

great series o'brien. Lots of feeling to these. you've captured the feeling of the place just right. I can imagine walking around there and having that "things that once were" feeling.
beautifully exposed and toned images.

these definately give a sense of desolation, B&W was definately a good choice here, great work.

Thanks for the comments everyone. These were taken last Friday at about 7pm, so it's pretty much high season. But it was a damp grey evening, and there was nobody around. The crumbling buildings and down-at-heel look are just part of the place these days. Though I'd like to do it again in colour on a sunny Sunday when the Dublin daytrippers arrive, I expect it would look a bit more lively. JonK - on exposure and tone - this was my first time to shoot in RAW format, the conversions are with Rawshooter, which Canoncan recommended on here. It's great, I'll never shoot a jpeg again.

JonMikal said it's ok to 'bump', so I'm bumping this for all you North Americans where it's still morning as I leave work. I'd also really love to hear what the master of B&W, JonMikal himself, thinks of these conversions. These are my first ones that haven't been flat greys, so hopefully I'm learning something on here.

Thanks

Lovely shots!!! I like ALL of them :) The conversions are quite good as well!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back