Desolate

Demers18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Setting foot into this abandoned home I couldn't help but feel a sense of despair and emptiness.
I feel the title desolate explains this photo in more ways than one.

10916626776_e5d2a0c087_b.jpg
[/URL] Desolate by lee demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

I like this; I think a little more contrast might not go amiss, and I might clone out the line of towers; they sort of take away from the desolation to me.

I think it would have been better to not explain it. The picture speaks for itself.

I like this; I think a little more contrast might not go amiss, and I might clone out the line of towers; they sort of take away from the desolation to me.

Thanks for your comments, although I would have to disagree. I feel the telephone poles actually add to the desolation by providing depth.

Thanks for your comments, although I would have to disagree. I feel the telephone poles actually add to the desolation by providing depth.

I disagree with this. The poles add attachment to the rest of the world.

I'd remove them and make sure you are perfectly horizontal, i feel like the window is skewed in the frame and it's bothering me the most.

I think the concept is great and the execution damn near.
What does bother me is the black frame, the light lower left corner and the relative brightness of the wall.
I think that fights the idea.

10916626776_e5d2a0c087_blll.jpg~original

I really like this image and would love to shoot something like this someday.

I disagree with this. The poles add attachment to the rest of the world.

I'd remove them and make sure you are perfectly horizontal, i feel like the window is skewed in the frame and it's bothering me the most.

Fair enough, although I still feel the poles add to the image. Isn't personal perception great ;)
your feeling is quite accurate, is the window skewed? Absolutely, the whole house is skewed. You should have seen the deck I had to walk on just to get inside. If i were to "leveL" the window, the horizon would then be skewed and that is what I'm using as a reference point.

I think the concept is great and the execution damn near.
What does bother me is the black frame, the light lower left corner and the relative brightness of the wall.
I think that fights the idea.
I see where you're going with the darker wall. I think it may not be a bad idea to darken it some, maybe not as much your edit though.

Thank you all for your comments.

The_Traveler's darkening of the interior wall, and his elimination of that troublesome lower left hand corner's odd brightness have improved the image. I like the poles...they add depth clues, and also show us a landscape that has no trees, no anything...just space...and poles...all that said, on such a formal study as this, I would suggest a very slight counter-clockwise rotation and cropping. I think the window being un-level looks unnatural or careless, or as if the shot were made with the camera not level and not properly squared-up. The horizon is small and hard to read, visually, but the window is looming and large, and it's obviously crooked.

The_Traveler's darkening of the interior wall, and his elimination of that troublesome lower left hand corner's odd brightness have improved the image. I like the poles...they add depth clues, and also show us a landscape that has no trees, no anything...just space...and poles...all that said, on such a formal study as this, I would suggest a very slight counter-clockwise rotation and cropping.

Exactly, nice choice of words Derrel.

The_Traveler's darkening of the interior wall, and his elimination of that troublesome lower left hand corner's odd brightness have improved the image. I like the poles...they add depth clues, and also show us a landscape that has no trees, no anything...just space...and poles...all that said, on such a formal study as this, I would suggest a very slight counter-clockwise rotation and cropping. I think the window being un-level looks unnatural or careless, or as if the shot were made with the camera not level and not properly squared-up. The horizon is small and hard to read, visually, but the window is looming and large, and it's obviously crooked.

Thanks for the insight Derrel, I'll have to give it a go and see what happens.

By the way, I really LIKE your picture! It makes me think of the middle of the USA, out on the plains or something, or perhaps a very lonely, remote part of Texas...some place where there just is nothing around as far as the eye can see, except maybe a two-lane road and some utility poles running along side it...the occasional small flocks of birds that sit on the wires for a bit, then fly off to someplace better, hotness, oppressive hotness, and boredom.

Interesting shot, I think too the contrast could be adjusted (I might have adjusted exposure and/or bracketed shots at the time). I think I'd actually like it if the poles showed up a bit more, might draw the viewer's attention to what's off in the distance. I guess it's a matter of if you want to emphasize the inner walls or what's out the window. Cool photo - one maybe that you could even do more than one version of it.

I wouldn't change a thing. I agree with some others that the poles actually make it seem more desolate. For this to work, I think the inside has to compete with the outside in brightness, or it becomes more about the view than an inside/outside balance. As for a tilt, I'm not even sure I see it - a lot of lines in this are not true vertical or horizontal, so it's really just your choice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back