Dice C&C

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score

Dice by The Photo Major, on Flickr

I haven't had a pic up in a while. Figured I'd throw one up. I think I should have placed the chips a little further back.

THis was actually a pretty good exercise. We were in a group of 4 in the studio and we had all class to shoot an object that we brought in. Unfortunately for me, I went last, and since there was no time limit per person people took their sweet ass time and only left me with about 15 minutes to set up the lighting and come up with something. While the time constraint wasn't really apart of the assignment, it pressured me to come up with something on the spot and work with it. First time I had to feel that with my camera.

Great concept. I'd probably see it shot from a slightly higher angle.
As you said, moving the chips back.

A crop to get rid of some of the empty black around might help.
Overall though, pretty fun attempt and interesting that you did this with the time constraint

You should try lighting this with some constant lights... Allowing the dice more movement during the exposure. Stop your lens down, and shoot with second curtain flash on the camera.

You'll get the effect of the dice rolling, and you'll have a clearly defined "finish point" for the dice, to give them a bit more detail and life.

Nice concept though, keep rolling with it. :thumbup:

(See what I did there, 'rolling'...)

I did take a few from a much higher angle, but head on looked the best to me.

Interestng concept. Unique

You should try lighting this with some constant lights... Allowing the dice more movement during the exposure. Stop your lens down, and shoot with second curtain flash on the camera.

You'll get the effect of the dice rolling, and you'll have a clearly defined "finish point" for the dice, to give them a bit more detail and life.

Nice concept though, keep rolling with it. :thumbup:

(See what I did there, 'rolling'...)

This was lit with a 250 or 500w lamp, and I think I had a reflector on the left side for this shot. We were only allowed the one light and reflector. Could it be pulled off with that set up?

And, I see what you did there you crazy kidder.

Ah, well with those restrictions it would be pretty tough to pull off. Near impossible IMHO without doing a composite.

The purpose of the second curtain flash is to allow you to drag your shutter to get the motion blur that you achieved in the photo you posted, but to also freeze the motion at the end of the frame... Giving the dice a "frozen in time" look. Like they just got done rolling, but they were slowed down via Keanu Reeves and some mad bullet time IN DA ****IN' MATRIX BRO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back