Did I buy the right camera?

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was a casually-serious amateur back in the day with my Canon AE1 (which still works fine after 25 years), but I haven’t taken anything more than what I would consider a snapshot in 20 years or so.

I recently replaced my 3.2 MP point-and-shoot with the Fujifilm FinePix S700BK, but now I’m wondering if I should have bought a more grown-up camera (a DLSR, that is).

Truthfully, I like the Fuji so far, but I really haven’t had time yet to explore its possibilities and discover its limitations.

Here’s my question: Do I need a DSLR to take “serious” photos? The Fuji has a 10x optical zoom, which is probably sufficient for my needs, so I’m not sure if the ability to use different lenses with a wider variety of focal lengths is a priority right now.

Are DSLRs that superior to my 7 MP Fuji? Would a typical SLR lens produce noticeably sharper images than my Fuji lens? Are there other advantages of a DSLR that I may be overlooking?

Or…should I just save my money and concentrate on learning what the Fuji can do.

As you can tell, I’m getting the bug again.

Thanks for any advice,

Jon

stick with the fuji until you run into serious limitations for your kind of photography!

if you do not feel limited, you are on the safe side.

you can take serious photos with any camera ... if they suffice your needs, well that only you can decide.

You need to replace your Fuji with a 10mp Nikon D80. Then you need to realise that it has limitations of lens compatibility and so you need to replace it with a D200 for $1500. Then decide you need a better autofocus system and faster frame rate; you need a $4000 D2Xs. Then decide that you really need a full-frame 35mm sensor, so you need to trade in and switch to a Canon EOS 1DS Mk II. For $7000. Then start thinking those images could be bigger. You need a medium format camera with a digital back. Sell your house. Oh, and at some point you might need some lenses.

See where I'm going with this? :lol:

In other words...

Or…should I just save my money and concentrate on learning what the Fuji can do.

Yes! You have bought the camera. Now use it, and replace it if and when you find actual limitations that could be overcome by buying something else - don't be concerned that other equipment is better (because there will always be something better) and definitely don't be concerned about what is or isn't a "grown up" camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back