Did I mess up with the yellow background?

Tittan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kittelsaa.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had some free time, a friend who is a makeup artist had some free time, and another friend who like to be in front of the camera also had some free time, so we had a go in the studio. The makeup was great, but I fear I messed it up by adding a yellow background. What do you guys think?

Oda-2.jpg
Oda-1-6.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't really help your model stand out. But it's easily changeable in Photoshop.

You need a good complimentary colour to make the yellow eye make-up really pop. The opposite colour to yellow on the colour wheel is blue. Change the background to blue and mask it off the yellow eyeshadow.

yes, changing it in post will only make for a confusing image because there is a ton of yellow cast off from the background on the model's face.

Maybe some color grading would do the trick.

Yes, as Runnah said, and I didn't mention, if you change the background colour, you will need to adjust the skintones of the model too, otherwise it will look like it's been changed afterwards.

Let us edit and we can help.

My experiences with using light-colored gels on white backgrounds have been more unfavorable than favorable. for whatever reasons. I've found that shooting gelled studio flash at white or cream-colored paper can easily lead to a lot of what I call "blowback", which is what you have in shot #1. Blowback is where the background light comes back to the subject and wraps around the sides of the head and or body...in this case, shot #1 has a strong yellow light outline. The second shot has eliminated/avoided that problem of blowback. I've had better luck using thunder gray paper when I want to make pastel-hued backgrounds. The gray reflects a lot less light than white, and for the lights I have, which do not dial down very low, the gray paper's end results are a lot less prone to what I call "color pollution", where a big sheet of white paper bounces colored light all over the shooting area, which is what I see here...her skin has a lot of color pollution in it, due to the gelled light spilling all over the shooting area.

Quick fix, convert to BW with a yellow filter.

Most reactions

Back