Did my D80 just die on me?

kami

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Every time I press the shutter I get an "err" message and the camera will not take pics anymore.

Is it worth getting it repaired? Or should I just click the D300s "checkout" button on my B&H cart?

Is your lens seated firmly on the body, and the lens aperture ring set to minimum aperture? Do you have a memory card in the camera?

Sound's like your shutter has failed.

it's either your lens is not on properly or shutter is messed up.. get the d300s!

Last edited:
Hi Kami , like what Derrel and Iray said , check your lens first. Also , if you are using a battery grip , switch the batteries around or test the camera without the grip first.

I had similar experience. My d80 would show ERR and also I noticed the battery meter switching at random between full and empty. Later I realized that the camera / battery grip doesn't work if left battery is empty even though the right one is full.

Tried removing the battery and reinstalling it?

My D200 did this after I subjected it to -55degC. It finally seized and produced ERR. After I warmed it and removed the battery I heard a click of the mirror re-seating and put the battery back in and it was all good again.

But yes otherwise it does sound like it may be dead.

Is your lens seated firmly on the body, and the lens aperture ring set to minimum aperture? Do you have a memory card in the camera?

Yes, yes, and yes.

I've tried removing the battery and lens, tried other lenses, nothing works. Oh well, i'll check out repair prices.

I think that's the camera gods way of telling you to upgrade :)

Tried removing the battery and reinstalling it?

My D200 did this after I subjected it to -55degC. It finally seized and produced ERR. After I warmed it and removed the battery I heard a click of the mirror re-seating and put the battery back in and it was all good again.

But yes otherwise it does sound like it may be dead.

You do realize that the body isn't warrantied for those conditions, don't you?

The Nikon will be fine, I mean yours! ;)

the checkout button is your friend.

You do realize that the body isn't warrantied for those conditions, don't you?

The Nikon will be fine, I mean yours! ;)

Your typical Nikon isn't warrantied for any conditions after 1 year. In any case that's why we have travel insurance. :)

My D200 did this after I subjected it to -55degC. It finally seized and produced ERR. ...

Was that in a temperature test chamber
or
did you jump out of a perfectly good airplane at 35,000 ft?

Ok, just ordered a D300s. I'll send my D80 to San Antonio when we visit there next month.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back