Did They Know....

Luminosity

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
...that I was taking their photograph?

Two young nuns, outside one of the major churches in Rome (the name of it escapes me now but it is a major tourist honeypot as it's the church that once, or still does, house the body of St Peter, if I remember correctly).

I approached several nuns in Rome, doing the polite thing by asking if I could take their photograph but they wouldnt allow it, all shying away. So, by this stage I had grown wise and sneaky, when I spotted these two girls I literally took their photograph from the hip....

Just dropped my camera to my waist, aimed it in their general direction and hoped it captured them.

1526-RomeNuns.jpg

I'm in awe of people who can shoot from the hip. I end up with either the sky or the ground, never my intended subject. Great shot!

Thanks hon, I was hoping for the best and surprised that I got them! I didn't want to raise the camera to my eyes because, again, at that stage I knew how most Rome nuns felt about having a camera pointed at them. They turn their faces away etc. Although, they must be used to tourists with cameras pointed at them by now.

I havent done this yet but I want to practice shooting from the hip more, so that I can do it more confidently. Planning on bribing someone with a massage certificate or a bottle of their fave wine or something in exchange for them sitting, standing etc for about an hour while I shoot them from the hip. So that I learn exactly what angles and height of camera works. Don't want to rely on the lucky shot anymore, especially when street photography is something I want to do regularly.

Good shot! I actually like taking pictures just hanging from my neck so people don't know. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back