Difference between D90 and D5000?

The top LCD is useless? How do you figure? Also, the D90 is better at low light (977 compared to 868).

I never said it was, I said some might think so with all the info on the back screen anyway. And realistically I look mostly at the info in the viewfinder. I find the top LCD handy when on a tripod or getting rough settings, quick glance, etc.

I also don't pay attention to DXO results, can you SEE that difference? Because I sure can't... I've had both and that definitely wasn't one of the factors in which to keep. Heck, if you only go by that the D90 is a better camera than the D300s too.

Just playing devil's advocate for the most part since most threads like this take the D90 role and the D5000 never gets a fair shot. Other than price, there are advantages to the D5000 - just depends on the buyer which one weighs out on top for them. As I stated, you typically only read about the advantages of the D90 over the D5000, I'm just pointing out the other side of the coin.

Last edited:
I havew the D5000 and i am fairly new to DSLR ( 4 months ) and now i look back and wish i got the D90.

The D5000 with its Help button, came to my aid many times but now that i understand everything i wish i had alittle more control that the D90 gives.

Also screen is cool and all and helps in limited situations, most of the time its not used.

I never said it was, I said some might think so with all the info on the back screen anyway. And realistically I look mostly at the info in the viewfinder. I find the top LCD handy when on a tripod or getting rough settings, quick glance, etc.

I also don't pay attention to DXO results, can you SEE that difference? Because I sure can't... I've had both and that definitely wasn't one of the factors in which to keep. Heck, if you only go by that the D90 is a better camera than the D300s too.
Just playing devil's advocate for the most part since most threads like this take the D90 role and the D5000 never gets a fair shot. Other than price, there are advantages to the D5000 - just depends on the buyer which one weighs out on top for them. As I stated, you typically only read about the advantages of the D90 over the D5000, I'm just pointing out the other side of the coin.
Well, it is if you are looking purely at the Image quality breakdown, and it's not only DXO that feels that way. But theres more to it then that, so I would say that DXO doesn't really say the D90 is the better camera, because it doesnt take the whole package into consideration.

Most reactions

Back