difference between FX and DX cameras

photaholic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well, im sure this question has been answered many number of times before ..

but then again my question/confusion is very specific i think ..

to put it simple..

should i go for nikon D610 or nikon D7100 (one being full frame and other is a dx)

the only thing here is a D610 is a en entry level full frame where as D7100 is a high end DX.

if cost is no matter between these two for me .. is a D610 still better than a D7100 ?

the only lens i have right now is a 50mm 1.8G and an SB 600 flash.

Having gone from the D7000 to the D600 I'd say it was a good upgrade, especially if you shoot in low light.

Both have plus and minuses. What sort of photography do you do and what sort of features in a camera are most important to you? that might help figure out which body might be best for you.

Both have plus and minuses. What sort of photography do you do and what sort of features in a camera are most important to you? that might help figure out which body might be best for you.

i take pictures in general nothing specific or not confined to any stream ..

mostly i take portraits and family occasions and landscapes. a hobbyist photographer, and low light performance is important to me.

also have to mention im upgrading from a D3100 (already sold it)

Based on that it *sounds* like you'd like the D600, but not a whole lot to go on. But if you said you like taking pictures of sports, or wildlife I might say the D7100, plus the D600 will be better in low-light.

Based on that it *sounds* like you'd like the D600, but not a whole lot to go on. But if you said you like taking pictures of sports, or wildlife I might say the D7100, plus the D600 will be better in low-light.
nope not a fan of sports or wildlife photography ..

so let me understand this statement.. D7100 is better at number of pics we can take per second .. is that the only better thing with D7100 ?

nope not a fan of sports or wildlife photography ..

so let me understand this statement.. D7100 is better at number of pics we can take per second .. is that the only better thing with D7100 ?

D7100 has a higher shutter speed (1/8000 vs 1/4000) and better auto focus (51 auto focus points vs 39 crammed into the center).

no. there's the faster shutter speed. better auto focus system. smaller/denser image sensor. higher flash sync speed.

One stop slower maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 second. Marginally different AF system. Much bigger sensor with better dynamic range. Piddlingly slower flash synch speed.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

these two posts are equally confusing to me ..

no. there's the faster shutter speed. better auto focus system. smaller/denser image sensor. higher flash sync speed.

so D7100 has a better autofocus than the D610 ?
and yes smaller/denser image sensor but how is that a better thing ?

One stop slower maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 second. Marginally different AF system. Much bigger sensor with better dynamic range. Piddlingly slower flash synch speed.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
from this post though im inferring you are saying D610 is better than D7100 ?

If you do not need 1/8000 shutter speed, more AF points, faster x-sync speed, *extra reach* and all the lenses can fully utilize the full frame body, then D610 is better than D7100.

well, im sure this question has been answered many number of times before ..

2,475,333.4 times - but it's ok, nobodies counting.

but then again my question/confusion is very specific i think ..

to put it simple..

should i go for nikon D610 or nikon D7100 (one being full frame and other is a dx)

the only thing here is a D610 is a en entry level full frame where as D7100 is a high end DX.

if cost is no matter between these two for me .. is a D610 still better than a D7100 ?

the only lens i have right now is a 50mm 1.8G and an SB 600 flash.

Depends on what type of photography your doing really - if you need the lowlight capabilies the D610 will be your best investment. The D7100 has a better autofocus system, shoots just a touch faster and the crop factor can be nice if you do a lot of telephoto.

so D7100 has a better autofocus than the D610 ?

correct.

Both are 24MP, but one packs 24MP into a smaller area. So cropping on the D7100 should retain more information.

One stop slower maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 second. Marginally different AF system. Much bigger sensor with better dynamic range. Piddlingly slower flash synch speed.Six of one, half dozen of the other.
from this post though im inferring you are saying D610 is better than D7100 ?

I *think* he's saying it's a crap shoot, with the D600 taking the plunge.

Both are 24MP, but one packs 24MP into a smaller area. So cropping on the D7100 should retain more information.

so if i were to shoot the same picture with a D7100 and a D610 and crop same portion of the picturefrom both .. the picture from D7100 woould be of better quality than the other one ?

sorry for soo many questions ..

A picture from a D7100 vs. a D600 is already a crop. 1.5x to be exact. But there's the same amount of pixels recording information in each, both producing a 6000x4000px image.

So from the get-go, the D7100 at the same focal length, will be "zoomed" 1.5x closer, with the same amount of data recording the frame.

(think an 11x14 photo matted to 8x10)

If you wanted to achieve the same on your D600, you'd have to crop the photo 1.5x to a 4000x2666px 16MP photo. If you wanted to zoom further, the D7100 will obviously have the advantage here.

Most reactions

Back