Future of my gear

I have been buying used Nikon digital single-lens reflex cameras since 2001. I think used is the way to go, but the assurance of a warranty is nice too.

I am not sure where you are located,but B&H Photo in New York has new d610 kits with a 50 mm lens and a grip for $896, and I believe with a spare battery too.

I am not sure where you are located,but B&H Photo in New York has new d610 kits with a 50 mm lens and a grip for $896, and I believe with a spare battery too.

I used to live in MA closer to them but now in CA. That would of been be a very nice deal. I assume that deal is brick and mortar only.

Im fine with used, my 24-70 2.8g was used and has treated my extremely well. Just need to make sure I have the time to get it really good and tested before the return period is over. For Keh that would be 180 days which wouldn't be too hard to verify everything is good with it.

I saw the deal on their website last week

Find someplace to rent a 610 and or a mirrorless to see. Might be worth spending a little bit to find out which you prefer.

I saw the deal on their website last week

Yeah just checked and think I see the combo you were talking about, sadly gone. Thats ok, im not ready to put down money yet.

Find someplace to rent a 610 and or a mirrorless to see. Might be worth spending a little bit to find out which you prefer.

Excellent idea, think I will

Looks like a local camera store does rentals. No D610 or Z50/Z5 but does have a D750 and a Z7 for rental. Will see when I have a free weekend to do that.

There's no loss in quality using the FTZ adapter, but it's an extra part that can get in the way of your workflow. Especially if you switch between native glass and F-mount optics regularly. And even more if you use quick release tripod plates.

And it can't be used with the Peak Design Capture Clip. If you mount the quick release plate on the camera, it will, because of the FTZ adapter's tripod mount, not be enough space to clip it in. And if you mount it on the FTZ adapter you will, with most lenses, get the wrong balance point.

I don't know how much money you are willing to spend, but I think I would go full frame and buy lenses that don't need an adapter. Even if that means you'll have to wait and save up more money.
Agree completely. Whatever you decide you'll always be able to use Nikon glass. Sounds like you already have a nice set up---why upgrade?

Agree completely. Whatever you decide you'll always be able to use Nikon glass. Sounds like you already have a nice set up---why upgrade?

The TLDR: It started because I wanted a wider angle lens than the 24-70 2.8g for landscape, but wasnt sure if I wanted to invest more into DSLR with Mirrorless getting most of the attention. I didnt think of going full frame body which makes my 24-70 2.8g wider, which so far seems to best option and most economical.

Consider a Nikon D750 full frame camera to use you FX lenses. I switched to a D750 from crop sensor and the 3d depth in the photos is amazing.

Consider a Nikon D750 full frame camera to use you FX lenses. I switched to a D750 from crop sensor and the 3d depth in the photos is amazing.

Right now a used D750 is at the top of my list. Plan is to rent one, give it a go and see how I like it. Body setup and use wise it seems very similar D7100 so I should pick it up pretty quickly.

Right now a used D750 is at the top of my list. Plan is to rent one, give it a go and see how I like it. Body setup and use wise it seems very similar D7100 so I should pick it up pretty quickly.
B&H has Nikon refurbished D750 w/ free shipping and 90day Nikon warrantee for $1099. That's what I bought. Looks brand new w/ accessories in Nikon white box.
Nikon D750 DSLR Camera (Body Only, Refurbished by Nikon USA)

I'll just put this thought out there. We are all going to have to go to mirrorless eventually. That's a fact and that is where things are headed.

Perhaps but let me throw out the fact that, at work (we make E-beam lithography tools), we still have a few floppys and USB-floppy drives to read them with. I'm also looking at one of our vacuum-system PC's and it has an internal floppy drive.

I'm married to my D3 and D4 along with the glass. BUT...if I were to be just starting out, I would go with a mirror-less camera. I love the absolutely blazing frame rates you can get, the size factor isn't important to me. I also feel that this is the way a digital camera should be made, it never made sense to me to emulate the way a film-camera worked.

I'll just put this thought out there. We are all going to have to go to mirrorless eventually. That's a fact and that is where things are headed.

Perhaps but let me throw out the fact that, at work (we make E-beam lithography tools), we still have a few floppys and USB-floppy drives to read them with. I'm also looking at one of our vacuum-system PC's and it has an internal floppy drive.

I'm married to my D3 and D4 along with the glass. BUT...if I were to be just starting out, I would go with a mirror-less camera. I love the absolutely blazing frame rates you can get, the size factor isn't important to me. I also feel that this is the way a digital camera should be made, it never made sense to me to emulate the way a film-camera worked.

Sure and there are still plenty of film camera's around too, but the direction is mirrorless whether we go kicking or screaming or jump in with both feet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back