Different Kind(s) of paper

susnet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay........I've tried glossy........don't care for it. I'm looking for another type of paper. Semi-Matte I love, but I'm getting a lot of scratches on my prints. Can someone tell me what Pearl or even reg. Matte looks like? Any suggestions on others that don't have that glossy look would greatly be appreciated.

Oh, and can someone tell me the differences betweek Illford vs. kodax paper? (don't laugh, please) :lol: I'm using Kodax now, and seem rather happy except for the scratches.

Thanks

I use AGFA 312 Multicontrast RC paper. It's semi matte and I've never scratched it.

How are you scratching it? I knew if you look at kodak films the wrong way they scratch but thought paper was more durable. If you're using metal tongs I would ditch those and get the wooden ones with rubber on the tips.

Just order a sampling of finishes in 25 packs. You might also want to try out some warm or cool tone papers. Only looking at your own work on the paper is going to tell you what you want to know.

I use Ilford, but there are a lot of good brands out there. Personally I like neutral or warm tone glossy fiber paper. The fiber adds texture to the surface so it's not as smooth as the RC paper. It looks more like a pearl or semi-matte finish. For RC I like the pearl, but I think Kodak may call their version of pearl semi-matte.

I'm not sure how my prints are getting scratched. I do use the tongs with the rubber tips. I printed roughly 7 prints and 3 of them were scratched really bad. I was wondering if it was my paper (Kodax RC) or the fact that there was a bunch of us in the lab...........hmmm I have to buy paper soon and I am so torn between the Illford and the Kodax. I found a good deal on ebay of 100 per pack and I want to make sure I buy something that I will enjoy. :? The Pearl from Illford..........is that a Glossy type paper?

I only use Pearl papers. I love it.

As for scratching, are you rubbing the tongs over the print or something? Make sure only to use the tongs on the edges.

Except for using metal tongs I have never scratched prints in the darkroom. Usually they get scratched in storage, like if they are rubbing against each other. It must be careless handling from the other folks in the darkroom.

100 sheets seems like a lot, but it will go faster than you imagine. More important than brand is just that you get in the darkroom and practice, practice, practice. In fact I recommend you buy a "house brand" (which is often repackaged Ilford anyway) such as Adorama or Arista. It's cheaper so you can afford more; more practice printing is going to take you farther than any particular brand.

if you are using a squeegee to remove the excess water after the wash, that is probably the problem. squegees suck.

if you are using an easel, don't adjust the blades when your paper is on it.

I thought about mentioning the squeegee after I posted...

I scratched one of my first prints at home with my brand new plastic tongs. The sides have little sharp edges where the sides meet. They must wear off with use, because I've never noticed them before. I need to file them off.

Instead of using an official "print squeegee", which I find really hard, I go to the auto parts store and get a windshield wiper blade or squeegee for fancy sports cars. They are very, very soft.

Thanks for the advice and opinion. It very well might be the squeegee, not to mention several tongs (and hands) reaching into the fix. I have to keep a close eye on my prints in the darkroom. :roll:

If I had to choose between Illford and Kodak I would go with Illford, the paper seems to me to have a better tonal range and surface quality, Yes Pearl is the best.

If your interested in trying Fiber based paper I swear by Forte Elegance warm tone. ( the nutral tone is nice too) I use Glossy but it's not like the horrible glossy RC produces more like a pearl in RC. With Fiber you can get very rich black and beautiful tone!!

Has anyone tried Ilford MGFB warmtone paper? i've been thinking about getting some, opinions please.

Solarize said:
Has anyone tried Ilford MGFB warmtone paper? i've been thinking about getting some, opinions please.

I use it all the time for portraits. Without toning it takes on a very light beige color. It is much more responsive to toning than regular Ilford papers. I like to split tone it with sepia and selinium to get a reddish brown tone.

Yeah if your using RC paper and don't like the glossy, then try fiber glossy. It does't have that cheap plasticy sheen over it like the RC equivilant. I love Illford though i do occasionally use Kodak when i am running low on Illford. The Illford paper seems to have a one stop more contrast then the Kodak. So with illford i could use a #2 filter with my base exposure, but with kodak i would usually have to go with a #3 filter instead. I love Illford warm tone, one the right photograph it can look amazing.
Just remember if your going to try fiber papers, they require a longer rinse then RC, but they also should last alot longer if toned correctly.

Havoc said:
Just remember if your going to try fiber papers, they require a longer rinse then RC

I havent actually workerd with FB paper yet, but I have read that it gets darker as it dries. Is it a very noticable amount and if so do you compensate when printing?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back