Different lit butterflies

doenoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.daanschouwe.nl
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since i just got the Cactus flash trigger i thought i would play with something different lighting in the butterfly garden of Amsterdam zoo. I had the camera in one hand and the flash in the other hand. Wasnt too easy sometimes and i probably looked like an idiot when taking some of these shots, but i dont care :mrgreen:
Anyways, here are some of the results of the different light test on butterflies
#1 This is a butterfly wing lit from the back, thought it looked pretty cool
Artis411.jpg

Artis412.jpg

Artis413.jpg

Artis414.jpg

Artis415.jpg

Artis416.jpg

Artis417.jpg

Artis418.jpg

Artis419.jpg

Artis420.jpg

I think the test was a succes :)
Thanks for looking and if you want to see more, you can go to my site (www.daanschouwe.nl)
Greetz Daan

Very nice work! I like them all. I like the shot angle as well as the lighting angle. Creative.

Very nice! I especially love the silhouette in #9, and the clarity of #10. Fantastic work! #1 is also amazing, the detail in those wings really makes you respect the billions of insects around us... Love the composition in these shots too!

how did you do the black background and what lense are you using? very cool stuff

:thumbup::thumbup: Nice. :)

#3 just took my breath away. cant say ive ever seen a butterfly up that close and personal. and you can literally see the dust on its wings

Very nice work! I like them all. I like the shot angle as well as the lighting angle. Creative.
That was the plan, to get some creative lighting on butterflies :D Thanks for the reply
Very nice! I especially love the silhouette in #9, and the clarity of #10. Fantastic work! #1 is also amazing, the detail in those wings really makes you respect the billions of insects around us... Love the composition in these shots too!
Yeah, bugs can look beautiful when you take the time to look at them. And i just like to give people the chance too see that :) Thanks for the comment :D
how did you do the black background and what lense are you using? very cool stuff
Cheers. I use a flash and the camera is set up with 1/200 ISO100 and F14. If i didnt use a flash, the pic would come out dark. So the flash helps to expose your subject. You just have to make sure there is nothing behind your subject, like a leave or twig. Then you get the black background. And i use a Sigma 105 2.8 Macro and a speedlite 430EX
:thumbup::thumbup: Nice. :)
I believe he uses a sigma 105mm
Correct
Nice work, Daan. The third one looks grumpy. really like #9. nice lighting.
Thanks Matt :)
#3 just took my breath away. cant say ive ever seen a butterfly up that close and personal. and you can literally see the dust on its wings
Thanks for the compliment :D
The great work continues! Keep it up
Thanks TC. Good too hear from you again. Havent seen alot of your work lately.........but that's also because im rather busy too and dont look at all the galleries anymore :)

Very well done. They're all winners, but my favs are 5 and 8.

A macro lens is high on my priority list.

I managed to sneak up on a butterfly today with my macro lens, but these put me to shame!

We've all seen butterfly shots, but these definitely feel unique and original. For me, the moody shadows and patterns created by the lighting (especially #7 and $9, wow!) really make these stand out.

They're all wonderful!
Wow - they wings in #5 are clear in parts - I never new there were ones like that! I also like the colour in #8.

Excellent captures:thumbup:
Awsome colours/details and lighting.

Most reactions

Back