DIFFERENT question on weddings

Sharp Shooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I personally have no interest in shooting a wedding any time soon (within the next few years) but I am curious. With the 372 posts on weddings this past week in this thread alone, everyone suggests to shadow a pro. My question is, how many pros are actually willing (and happy) to let someone do this? Is it ok for the pro to just bring a noob along to someone else wedding?

Last edited:
What are the rules on the photog sleeping with the brides maids?

Rules, I never knew there were any rules on sleeping with the brides maids, I always try to sleep with them all...As for the professional letting you TAg along, Some will and some will not.

Why don't you ask that question on a Wedding Forum?? In case you forgot this is all about Photography. Thanks.

Pros will let you tag along, but you probably wont be shooting much the first few times you go with them. You will be more of an assistant, setting up shots, taking directions from the pro, making sure the dress is nice, moving a light stand.

You will probably have a few opportunities to shoot on your own, and you will be considered a second shoot (I have seen up to 3 at weddings). You give these images to the pro, he may or may not use them for the bride.

Once you gain the "trust" of the pro and he sees that you are competent and serious, he may start to ask you to take more shots. ie - hey, you go to the detail shots in the reception while I finish up here.

Then, if he likes what you are doing and trusts you even more, he may ask you to shoot weddings under his name on your own when he gets double booked. At which point, you can then bring on an assistant to help you out, and the process goes on.

But yeah, it all starts with finding a pro willing to take you on. But you have to understand you will be under the pro, working FOR them for NO pay...well, your compensation will be knowledge

Well, he DID say DIFFERENT question....

Thanks, I think.:lol:

My post was a serious question followed up by some slight humor. Apparently my joke was so vulgar it made people completely forget about my real question.

Last edited:

Why don't you ask that question on a Wedding Forum?? In case you forgot this is all about Photography. Thanks.

I dont get this statement. Often times shooting under a pro is referenced on this site. Why all of a sudden must the OP head to a different forum to ask a question?

Is wedding photography not about photography? Is apprenticeship / mentoring not a way of learning photography, often better than coming to say, I dont know, a forum like this, and asking the same questions over and over again, to the point of annoying other members?

:meh:

Well, he DID say DIFFERENT question....

Thanks, I think.:lol:

My post was a serious question followed up by some slight humor. Apparently my joke was so vulgar it made people completely forget about my real question and led them to post useless stuff. I am guessing to up their post count since that is what seems to make someone a better photographer around here. The people I meet out shooting are usually awesome people with great stories. I am starting to think this is where the "other" kind of photographer ends up.

Like with all internet forums, you need to weed through the posts that you dont really want to find the ones that will be helpful.

I think the reaction to your joke was more due to other threads containing crude statements when commenting on pictures, so people get easily jaded and tend to react negatively to anything similar

My question was about photography. Thanks.

I am just going to keep my mouth shut because I think bringing reality to this forum will just upset people. There's a big world outside of your computer room, check it out sometime.:thumbup:

That's revealing!... :lol:

That should get you lots of credentials with lots of wedding pros! Good luck buddy, you'll need it. Badly!...

Twinky, PM sent.

Mitica, Read my first post again and see if I have any interest in shooting a wedding any time soon.

Edit* Deleted some stuff since there are a few helpful people on here. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

Sarcasm comes through really well in typing on forums.

bigtwinky nailed it, as far as the real question.

Edit* Deleted some stuff since there are a few helpful people on here. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.
True of any forum. Don't get so worked up when you don't get the answers you want or topics get off-track.

Twinky, PM sent.

Mitica, Read my first post again and see if I have any interest in shooting a wedding any time soon.

Twinky, PM sent as well.

Sharp Shooter, one thing to keep in mind is that we also have kids reading/posting on this Forum. While I understand now the question at the end for being a joke, I didn't think it was appropriate for our younger readers. Thanks.

Thanks for the PMs Sharp and Mitica, both have been replied. I'm sure discussions will follow :)

If its an issue of what kids will read, then we need a statement from a mod / owner as to if its acceptable or not, as there are also many pictures that just because they are flagged as NSFW, they would be things that kids shouldn't be seeing. And if this forum is going along the lines of a family friendly forum, then things like that need to be looked at as well.

:)

Most reactions

Back