Difficult to find time for photos....

Lightsped

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I currently work a 10pm to 6:30am shift. When I get home I go directly to bed. it is difficult to find time for photography since the sun is on the other side of the world when I am awake. And..... to make matters worse, we are about to go on 12 hour shifts here which will be 6pm to 6am. Because of these odd work shifts, I am having a difficult time maintaining motivation and finding time to spend with my camera. Has anyone else been through similar situation?

Oh and yes, I am looking for a job in the Atlanta, GA area. Background is office work. Good with computers, great attitude, and strong work ethic. College educated, and a quick learner. Enjoy helping others.

Anyways, thanks for any ideas during this "dark time" in my photography career.

Hi! Sometimes the shift I am working lately mean I'm missing some beautiful sunset shots, harder to get up for sunrises and through the day I just don't have the option of getting out as I'm working. I look forward to the weekends, holidays, public holidays etc and try to plan as best I can on what I would like to shoot in these times, In the meantime I read up on techniques and ideas, watch videos and edit the shots I have not yet edited. This in itself is also, at least for me, a part of digital photography, post processing should be learned along with the photography techniques, an absolute must if you're shooting RAW anyway.

It can be hard to stay motivated, I saw two of the best sunsets of the last month from the office window and it really hit me in the gut, but I guess for me at least:

- Plan what / where / when next you want to shoot (research it, sunrise/sunset hours/sun directions, points of interest etc)
- Read and watch videos, forums, use the time you can't shoot to learn from and or share you experiences with others
- Process some of your older images, even if you have already processed, you may have developed new skills, revisit them and see what you can do differently. Sometimes I rush to edit a few shots from a particular shoot as soon as I can (usually the ones I know I am pleased with), however, that wait time, a week, month whatever, can make you view the image with a more critical eye.

Keep going, good luck with the job hunt!

You don't list what your photography interests are. We had a pretty harsh winter here in Michigan, so getting out and street shooting is difficult due to the cold. You are challenged with horrible hours but still, 12 hour shifts and right to bed is no way to live and not healthy. You should spend at least 4 hours of living a day. You have to force yourself if it's really important to you. Even if it is setting up still life or macro work indoors. There are so many things you can do inside if you look for it. Creative people's biggest challenge is themselves.

So I currently work a 10pm to 6:30am shift. When I get home I go directly to bed.

There's your problem. When I worked the night shift 10-6, I would sleep before work, not after, just like a regular 9-5. I would get off at 6am, spend about 6 hours having my day, then lay down and sleep at 1 or 2 to be up at 9 to go to work.

I feel your frustration! I swear every beautiful sunrise or sunset has been when I’m driving to or from work or otherwise occupied. Or, I can’t get somewhere to see it clearly. All the bitterly cold mornings with nice sun, or fresh snow has been during the work week. I spend Saturdays studying photography while my kids are skiing, but there hasn’t been much to take photos of. Very grey around here. I finally start bringing my long lens and practicing on the skiers.

My plan-decided I will start driving a different road on occasion -tomorrow I will bring camera to get groceries and drive the long way home by the lake instead of the highway. I will catch one sunrise or sunset per week-even if it’s in the back yard. Not pretty scenery but will help me practice. If the weather is miserable ( almost always) I will practice on my pets. I am so disappointed in my lack of skills at this point. Maybe you can plan similar things as above.

I worked the 7-7-6 shift, i.e., 7 nights then 2 days off, 7 afternoons then 2 days off, 6 days then 4 days off and repeat. You could get out of that rotation with enough seniority or with a promotion, so I knew I could make it through. Anyway, I loved afternoons because management went home and I was free to make my own decisions and I could sleep at night and had the day for photography, or golf, or ... Didn't mind nights because management was not around and I had evenings with my wife to cook, or go out, photography, or to the flicks, ... Didn't care for days as management was constantly 2nd guessing everything I did.

Last edited:
Nothing destroys motivation that a busy schedule. Photography is a hobby to most and hobbies get pushed to the side.

Keep a camera handy, even your cell phone, if it looks interesting, shoot it. Impromptu photos can help you see thing differently.

Still, there is no getting around the fact that your schedule is not photo friendly.

Anyways, thanks for any ideas during this "dark time" in my photography career.
I think it will depend on how "awake" you are at any one particular time. I understand going to bed right away, but how much time are you off work, and how do you feel?

My oldest son used to say he works half days. (5 am to 5 pm) :D

Now that he's a vice president, he only works 12 hours. ;)

Lots of interesting photography can be done at night, (flash or ambient) but you have to want to do it.

Some good responses, filled with wisdom.

Nothing destroys motivation that a busy schedule. Photography is a hobby to most and hobbies get pushed to the side.

Keep a camera handy, even your cell phone, if it looks interesting, shoot it. Impromptu photos can help you see thing differently.

Still, there is no getting around the fact that your schedule is not photo friendly.
I've done shift work, and I thought I was going to die. Either from lack of sleep or in a car crash driving home. It started me smoking just to stay awake long enough to get home, then I couldn't sleep because of the nicotine.

I don't think I even thought about photography in those days.

IF you really want to shoot, you will make the time in your schedule to shoot, either before or after work.
Carry a P&S or your phone camera.

IMHO, the problem with off-shift work is that you have to change your clock, 7 days a week. Doing night shift during the week then day shift for the weekend, just screws up your internal clock. Once you get used to the new clock schedule, it is easier to adapt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back