What's new

Long time shooter, first time poster

White Tie

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 15, 2026
Messages
9
Reaction score
13
Location
Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I’ll be brief. Probably very similar to many people here. Found photography interesting when I was a kid in the 1970s. My father was a graphic designer and his studio had a few photographers he used regularly, so I was around some really cool work. I was occasionally allowed to tag along on shoots and If I had to guess, that’s what piqued my interest.

Messed around with 110s and Polaroids and decided to get serious in 1982. After much research (magazines and professionals back then), I went with what was a cutting edge new camera at the time, the Nikon FM2. I was a prolific amateur throughout the 1980s, thousands of slides and contact sheets (as we all did back then), and some very sparse professional work a few times. My most cherished possession, I still have that FM2. Long since retired, it enjoys a spot on my office desk, within reach as I type this. That’s it in my avatar.

Fast forward to the early 2000s and I went kicking and screaming into digital. I stayed with Nikon, for no reason other than it was familiar. I’ve been solely amateur for 30 years, it is strictly a hobby. Not sure why I decided to jump on to a photography board all these years later, but here I am. I tried a different board about a month ago, but decided to bail. A discussion for another time (or not).

Figured at the very least, I can offer advice to beginners who are either overthinking or doubting themselves unnecessarily. While they wonder if they have the latest tech mirrorless or bag full of lenses, I’ll be there to remind them that there are people doing amazing work and winning contests with Holgas. If they’re on this board, they already have all the equipment they need.

Preferred styles: abstract, architectural, night, storm.
Favorite photographer: Annie Leibovitz.
Cameras: Nikon DSLRs.

Anyway, apologies, not brief at all, but I think I covered it. See you on the board.
 
Welcome, yes your story does have some familiarity :)
My Dad was in advertising as an art director, so as well as playing with cameras I had to act as a model. He did use one of my photos for a cruise brochure but other than that I've no claim to ever being professional.

When I started with digital it was with a Pentax DSLR, because I was familiar with their film models (I still have the ME as well as my Dad's MX...) Now I use a large selection of different cameras ranging from the tiny Pentax Q up to a 5x4 monorail. I dabble in most styles of photography but tend to avoid portraits - this time of year long exposures become a common subject.

Hope you enjoy the forum, I frequent half a dozen forums & occasionally visit a few more which helps keep my photography interest active when I 'm not out with a camera.
 
Last edited:
Welcome and I think I started a bit before you tagging along in the late 60s and shooting my own Nikon since the early 70s. Put my stuff away till 2000 after 1983 and working full time but my first grandchild brought it out much more after her birth. Now I love
Portraits and we agree on Annie as she and Joe McNally are my two favorite portrait shooters. Thomas Magelson is
My favorite landscape and wildlife shooter
 
Welcome!
Seeing that your favorite photographer is Annie Leibovitz, I'll hazard a guess that you mainly photograph people. You should definitely share your work in the People Photography board.
Oddly, not in a very long time. I dabbled in the 80s, did a very small amount of professional work, just small time local in Houston (a model, a band etc).

My admiration for her work has long been similar to my admiration of people like Nolan Ryan, Michael Jordan, Serena Williams, etc. something that’s amazing to watch, that I could never do myself.

I’ll for sure look at that section you recommended. I think about trying it again from time to time.
 
Welcome, yes your story does have some familiarity :)
My Dad was in advertising as an art director, so as well as playing with cameras I had to act as a model. He did use one of my photos for a cruise brochure but other than that I've no claim to ever being professional.

When I started with digital it was with a Pentax DSLR, because I was familiar with their film models (I still have the ME as well as my Dad's MX...) Now I use a large selection of different cameras ranging from the tiny Pentax Q up to a 5x4 monorail. I dabble in most styles of photography but tend to avoid portraits - this time of year long exposures become a common subject.

Hope you enjoy the forum, I frequent half a dozen forums & occasionally visit a few more which helps keep my photography interest active when I 'm not out with a camera.
Holy cow, a very similar path alright.
Man, I haven’t done any long exposure work in forever. Oddly, I did find my viewfinder cover in my desk drawer a couple weeks ago. I’ll never use it, but I did throw it in my bag.

I’m not on many boards these days. I frequent a motorcycle forum and I’m also a moderator of a Star Wars board for the past 25 years.
 
Welcome aboard! Look forward to your contributions. I too got interested in photography while in high school, stayed away from it for about 40yrs then picked it up again a few years ago. Boy...what a difference 40yrs makes :lol:.
 
My view? Have fun. Shoot and learn. Don't be afraid to experiment. Find what you enjoy and do that. You have the beginning of a personal journey, there is no end and there are no limits. I know this last part is the most difficult. Shoot what you see and what you want, what you see, not for other people.

"Preferred styles: abstract, architectural, night, storm." Go for it! Not architecture. LOL Abstract Solar Storm at Night?

2024-0812-IMG-0754-adjusted-web-V2.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom