Alright, I'll take a stab on answering a Q.
Print.
To print and album and going cheaper, I'll go with someone one shutterfly or winkflash. They are ok quality, as long as I don't allow them auto-enhance it.
If I'm putting together a wedding album, based on the client is where the fun is. Some just want 1 or 2 pictures per page so lab takes care of it (I like MPIX). If they want more designer then again we see what lab has to offer. But more of customized album, I put together each page on photoshop in collage form.
Non-print.
Just to put a slideshow on a DVD, I edited it using Adobe Premiere CS3. Often clients want images that were printed put into the slideshow so what I did from PS, I use those images to put a slideshow for them. On average, though it based on number of pictures in the collage, each page is set to be displayed for about 5-6seconds, thus a 50pg album is about 5 minutes. Clients can either give me their music or I choose something for my self. The trand that I've seen is if client give me music, they give me 1 or 2 songs. But if I'm the one selecting music for occasion, I change it with what is in the pictures (portraits, ceremony, reception, etc). Once the job is produced, I deliver it to the studio and they deliver it to the client.
But it if you could eleborate on what you'd like to be done, we can probably be more specific on what can be used at cheaper price (since $ is ussually an issue) and deliver good quality.
Joe