Digital B&W question

zeppelin390

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wingsimaging.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
is there a digital camera better suited for B&W photography, or can they all pretty much reach the same outcome?

I don't think it matters much (if at all) which camera you use. It's all in the PP.

If you're shooting in raw, alot of the raw editors ignore what color mode you are working in. (i.e. vivid, neutral, black and white, etc.). No matter what you choose in your camera, the raw editor will give you neutral color.

So yeah, it doesnt matter. Find a good workflow for black and white conversion and concentrate on exposing. Some people will underexpose the coloured exposure and compensate in shadows/highlights as it mimmicks black and white film a bit more effectively.

Last edited:
is there a digital camera better suited for B&W photography, or can they all pretty much reach the same outcome?

They are definitely not the same, but the differences aren't B&W specific. The better the quality of the color image, the better the B&W. The only color attribute that isn't particularily valuable for B&W would be color faithfullness.

in addition to what has already been stated, if is important to think in black and white terms. then develop a post processing workflow to convert the image from color to black and white.

... it is important to think in black and white ...

Well said. This is rule #1. The vast majority of people that have difficulty getting decent B&W out of their digital camera fail because they didn't visualize the image as a B&W image before they took th picture.

in addition to what has already been stated, if is important to think in black and white terms. then develop a post processing workflow to convert the image from color to black and white.
Awww! You and Dwig beat me to that. Shoot in color think in B&W then post process to B&W.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back