Digital Beginner: Specific EOS book or More General

RegRoy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm just starting to break out of the auto mode on my EOS Digital Rebel xti and I'm overwhelmed. I want to learn and I'm wondering is it better to first read a book geared to specifically learning about the EOS?, or just jump in with the big picture and learn the general big concepts first.

I started reading the tutorial thread here (which is great) but I just want to make sure that I'm not better off with a "Hi. I'm the EOS and it's nice to meet you" first book.

Thanks.

Pretty much anything you read will be applicable to the EOS system. It's just that some of the terms are different...

For example, what Nikon calls matrix metering mode, Canon calls evaluative.
Same thing though.

The basics are the same no matter what body you're using.

For example, what Nikon calls matrix metering mode, Canon calls evaluative.

I don't understand anything you just said. :lol: -- at least in the middle part of it.

But I will head off to the tutorial section now....

The only book you need for your camera is the manual. For a beginner, I'd suggest going to Amazon and get "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Once you understand the material in there, everything in your manual will make sense, and I'd suggest spending some time with that as well.

Scott Kelby. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278385419&sr=8-4]Amazon.com: The Digital Photography Book (9780321474049): Scott Kelby: Books[/ame]

His books are great at giving a guided tour on how to use your camera and its settings to get the shots you want. He also writes it in a very plain and down to earth way, which is easy to follow. I have volumes 2 and 3 of his Digital Photography books, and I still enjoy flipping through them from time to time to brush up or refresh some things. It doesnt get terribly technical, and keeps the scientific reasoning behind the advice out of the picture. This is just about learning what your settings will do for you, not how or why they work.

The basics of photography (exposure, lighting, composition) are not specific to any brand of camera, or even to digital. So you shouldn't need anything beyond your camera's manual, that is specific to your camera.

Instead, do some reading on exposure. Learn about aperture, shutter speed & ISO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back