Digital enlargements

buzzbeat1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm considering going digital and am looking at the Nikon D1/ D2 series. My concern comes in that I do some enlargements (in the range of 18 x 24). What mpx do I need at a minimum to maintain film quality prints for enlargements of that size? Will a 4.1 or 5.3 do it? How big can you take those mpxs without losing resoluiton?

Don

Even though it has a lower # of megapixels the sensor is still as large as the other DSLR's on the market. I've read that making enlargments with the D2H is not much of an issue. Granted it probably won't look as sharp as the 6 MP counterparts. Those cameras are meant for journalists that need the speed. If you aren't in need of the speed, I would go with the D100 or D70. The D70 has a very fast write speed and can shoot at 3 FPS for 114 continuous frames on the highest JPG setting.

I love my D1X. I've heard the 'improvements' to the D2H aren't as nice as they could've been. Like Voodoocat said, they were done mostly for speed.

The D1X also captures 10 megapixels horizontally and 5 megapixels vertically. If you shoot in RAW mode, you can choose whether you want a 10 megapixel file or a 5. (The vertical pixels on the 10 are interpolated but I haven't noticed any loss of quality myself).

Using this option would allow you to print at 18 x 24 at about 200-250 dpi. Still very high quality prints.

The salesman at my local photo store said they've never had a single D1X returned for repairs. They are built that well.

I can't say enough about how much I love this camera. :)

.... and no I don't work for nikon ;)

Most reactions

Back