Digital Image Editing questions.......

capture884

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
Hi,
I am currently taking digital pictures, uploading the images to my computer, and editing them there.
My biggest hurdle is knowing how to adjust the brightness and the contrast, and the midtones. Sometimes I want to just scream because I find this process confusing.
I would like to know if others have had problems deciding how to adjust coloring. I will check this thread often, and I welcome all comments and suggestions.

My biggest hurdle is knowing how to adjust the brightness and the contrast, and the midtones. Sometimes I want to just scream because I find this process confusing. [...] I would like to know if others have had problems deciding how to adjust coloring.

Not really, cap. It's a matter of 1) personal taste, and 2) trusting your own judgement and instincts.

Oh I have the same problem with that... thanks for posting this question!!

Only one suggestion ...

Please - whether you're shooting RAW, or jpg - understand this: Do NOT adjust brightness, contrast or colors UNTIL you have first adjusted DENSITY!

This is the single most common error people make.

In other words, Levels! (And sometimes Curves)

If you don't know how, LEARN!

If you don't know why ... ASK!

I agree. The Levels adjustment is a good one to learn. You can search the web for many tutorials on how to use this feature. You can probably find some video tutorials on You Tube.

Yeah levels is the most important as a general rule. All image editing takes much trial and error to get it right. Once you get enough pratice then it becomes natural and, easy. I have spent many an hour cussing at Photoshop when I was first learning.

Yeah levels is the most important as a general rule. All image editing takes much trial and error to get it right. Once you get enough pratice then it becomes natural and, easy. I have spent many an hour cussing at Photoshop when I was first learning.

:heart::heart::heart::heart:
Hi Joves,
I don't have photoshop. I haven't gotten it yet. I have been able to do without it up until this point. I did some reading as was suggested in this thread, and I discovered that I don't have the levels settings. At least, they aren't labeled levels. Must I have photoshop to determine levels?
Because right now, I adjust the constast or brightness, and it changes the whole pic, and I might only want to do the change in a specific spot.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Get Photoshop Elements and learn levels or curves - makes a world of a difference. That and layers and masks

I usually play with contrast and broghtness until I see a result I like. Pretty much trial and error process...

Only one suggestion ...

Please - whether you're shooting RAW, or jpg - understand this: Do NOT adjust brightness, contrast or colors UNTIL you have first adjusted DENSITY!

It is the first time I run into this suggestion. I usually adjust the brightness and contrast first. I will check more into this.

Thanks

If you want to try adjusting levels you could download GIMP. Some people say its harder to use. I don't know since I'm new to the whole photography thing myself.

But it is free, it allows the adjustment of levels (and lots of other things) and its used enough that you can google the answer to most questions or equivalent functions in photoshop.

cheers,
david

Most reactions

New Topics

Back