Digital Interneg films designed for exposure using lasers

idle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have two film stocks designed for exposure with lasers: both have their colour layers in a different order to std daylight or tungsten films because laser light is massively different. These films are Fuji's Eterna RD-1 and Kodak's Vision 2383.
Both need to be exposed at around iso 1.5 for good results although exposure up to iso 6 can be used.
Resulting colour depends hugely on the time of day and whether the sun is shining or not. Once developed and scanned, finding a good 'look' can be a challenge. I've tried using colour filters (yellow and orange) to balance the tendency for these films to look like tungsten but I reckon it's just better to accept that they will never create a broad range of accurate colour and just embrace the effect!
So, when scanning, I usually just look for one colour to balance and will let the rest fall wherever. That might be a nice blue sky or a neutral grey road/footpath etc.
Attached are one from each type. The brightly pink shot is from Fujifilm Eterna RD-1 and was shot in fairly bright sunlight. I balanced for a 'natural' blue sky. The 2nd shot is the Kodak 2383 shot on an overcast day and balanced for, again, a blue sky (although it was actually grey). The gate sculpture is actually a lovely brown wood carving!
The films are virtually grainless and prints can look like digital shots. They can easily be enlarged from 35mm to A1 size (with a bit of sharpening) and still look superb.

Piriti Pararaiha (Paradise Bridge) by Michael J Breen, on Flickr

Loitering Around Auckland City by Michael J Breen, on Flickr

All I can say is your shots sure look a lot better than the ones I see come through the lab I work at with these films. Good job.

All I can say is your shots sure look a lot better than the ones I see come through the lab I work at with these films. Good job.
Yeah, I think people try too hard to correct them with filters.
Using RD-1 with an 85a or b filter actually results in thin blue negs and obviously nasty thin yellow images. A light yellow filter can work but why would you chase reality with these films?
The Vision 2383 is new to me and, although it's different to the Fuji, it also seems to suffer badly with filters: just use it naked and embrace the surreality!

Most reactions

Back