Digital mirrorless Leica "SL" (rumor)

Solarflare said:
Steve Huff hasnt handled a SL yet, but is already rather critical of it.

Amusingly he still has missed the main issue: the SL is a HUGE HEAVY BLOCK OF METAL.

As the picture from the Ming Thein pre-review clearly show, the camera with the only available lens (24-90mm f2.8-4.0) is larger than a Nikon D810 with an AF-S 24-120mm f4 VR convenience zoom.

Given Steve Huffs comments for example on the Nikon Df, I think its thus very unlikely that Huff will ever warm up with the Leica SL

I read Ming's preview...the camera seems to have a few issues, and the lens is MASSIVE and HEAVY, especially for the focal length range. Any lens like that that uses 82mm filters is a fattie...it's like having a Folger's coffee can mounted onto a small body, and as is obvious from the photos, the camera does not look like it could handle lenses in that kilogram and up weight class--that's one of the types of lenses that really do function, handle, carry,shoot better on a full-sized body like a D3x or D4,etc..--a body with a palm swell, ergonomically-designed handgrip. The dPreview pic shows the "grip" is just a simple, straight-line swell...this thing appears like it has 1950's ergonomics--meaning "none".

It seems like there are some REALLY nice aspects to the SL, but also some weaknesses. I was shocked, truly shocked, to see it compared against the D810 and 24-120VR...wow--it is more offensive tackle than linebacker!!! I was surprised to read that the lens suffers at the longer end of the zoom range...not really all that great for a $4,400 or whatever mid-range zoom...

My guess is that HUff will not like its handling--he's a carry and shoot constantly type of guy. However, the SL might prove itself to be a nice test platform for M-series and other lenses.

I'm still wondering if Leicas 30x45 cmos sensor will work in this sized body?
If it was possible it would make a MF Leica SL the lightest, thinnest medium format body available with a CMOS sensor.

Solarflare said:
Steve Huff hasnt handled a SL yet, but is already rather critical of it.

Amusingly he still has missed the main issue: the SL is a HUGE HEAVY BLOCK OF METAL.

As the picture from the Ming Thein pre-review clearly show, the camera with the only available lens (24-90mm f2.8-4.0) is larger than a Nikon D810 with an AF-S 24-120mm f4 VR convenience zoom.

Given Steve Huffs comments for example on the Nikon Df, I think its thus very unlikely that Huff will ever warm up with the Leica SL

I read Ming's preview...the camera seems to have a few issues, and the lens is MASSIVE and HEAVY, especially for the focal length range. Any lens like that that uses 82mm filters is a fattie...it's like having a Folger's coffee can mounted onto a small body, and as is obvious from the photos, the camera does not look like it could handle lenses in that kilogram and up weight class--that's one of the types of lenses that really do function, handle, carry,shoot better on a full-sized body like a D3x or D4,etc..--a body with a palm swell, ergonomically-designed handgrip. The dPreview pic shows the "grip" is just a simple, straight-line swell...this thing appears like it has 1950's ergonomics--meaning "none".

It seems like there are some REALLY nice aspects to the SL, but also some weaknesses. I was shocked, truly shocked, to see it compared against the D810 and 24-120VR...wow--it is more offensive tackle than linebacker!!! I was surprised to read that the lens suffers at the longer end of the zoom range...not really all that great for a $4,400 or whatever mid-range zoom...

My guess is that HUff will not like its handling--he's a carry and shoot constantly type of guy. However, the SL might prove itself to be a nice test platform for M-series and other lenses.

Yeah but you don't buy a Ferrari because it's easy to park, you buy it because it's a status symbol. Just like this camera, it's heavy, impractical and crazy expensive but it shows all the plebes with their canon/nikons that you are a man of good tastes and means. Heck they could slap that red badge on a solid block of aluminum and peopled show up in droves.

I'm not sure who can afford a $7500 body and $5000 lens.

Well ... thats basically a Canon 1Dx plus 24-70mm f2.8, isnt it ?

The issue is that the Canon offer is a lot better in most respects (it lacks image stabilization and it has a Canon sensor).

I think Leica did some really bad descisions here. After the Leica Q, I was expecting something smaller, more lightweight, cheaper, and with a better interface. Though maybe the later can be tweaked enough, I cant know.

So how many system cameras does Leica sell now?

S, SL, M, T?

That's a lot for a niche company. When I heard about a Leica FF, I was hoping for an evolution of the M system rather than yet another system.

In the end it doesn't matter what you all think about it, it will sell China is where most of them will go

Gary ia right--the new luxury goods are aimed at China's emerging wealthy, status-hungry class. They want to differentiate themselves so,so badly.

I too was wondering about the big sensor of the Leica S-series cameras maybe being a possibility for this body or this "platform"...I tried to find the flange-focal plane distance for this NEW lens mount, could not; I know the S-system has a 50.0mm flange-focal distance, which is pretty long, and I am guessing that this body is shallower than that, so an adapter that would move an S-series lens 50mm away from the focal plane would be a cinch to make. This body looks BIG, and is a monobloc type design, so I bet it is strong as all get out, and can/could handle the stress of large, heavy lenses hanging off the front of it. The odd, non-labeled controls and the only-one-dial-at-a-time being active concept both seem **exceptionally** different and weird for a camera aimed at serious users. But who knows what might be changed or what could be done via firmware with regard to the controls.

I am really puzzled as to why this thing has been designed to be so BIG, and why the lenses are so BIG...that makes me wonder if this might be a platform that actually could be transitioned to a medium-format sensor. A second question I have is about the circle of coverage for these lenses; I have a feeling that maybe this new mount size (diameter of mount) could handle big lenses, designed for medium format, but--what about these new, massive lenses? Is it possible that they have image circles that cover Leica's high-end S-series's 30 x 45mm size sensor? Could this new SL be a "bridge" between the Leica S-size medium format and the 24x36 sensor?

This might prove to be interesting.

I dont know the flange distance of the Leica L mount either.

Its substantly shorter than 27.8mm (but one source claims 27.95mm), the flange distance of the Leica M mount, since there is a L to M adapter.

The diameter seems to be about 45mm, since the full frame sensor (36x24mm ~ 43.3mm diameter) is fully revealed (and then some).

P.s.: Sorry of course thats a M to L Adapter, not the other way around. Apparently also reads the 6 bit codes of the M glass, too.

P.p.s.: A number of sources claim that new glas other than the 24-90mm will be coming rather slowly and sparsely. Hmm. Btw the T system has now 23mm f2, 35mm f1.4, 18-56mm f3.5-5.6, 60mm f2.8 macro, 11-23mm f3.5-4.5, 55-135mm f3.5-4.5. So there is progress, albeit slowly. And the T got a macro lens, bravo !

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back