Digital Photo Professional 4 Tutorials.

Salewis555

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got a Cannon 80D and have been shooting in Jpeg. I have just started to mess around shooting RAW. I am trying to take it one step at a time. I was looking to see if someone could point me in the right direction with photo editing part. Right now I am just using DPP 4. I figured it was somewhere to start until I learn more about photo editing. Does anyone know any good tutorials for DPP4 editing, or just photo editing in general. Looking to absorb as much knowledge as I can. Like what all the tools do, how they can change photos, when to use them and when not to.

Thanks,
Steve

Just 1 n - Canon
JPEG takes the 12 or 14-bit file the camera actually records, edits and reduces it in the process to an 8-bit file.
Most 8-bit files have very little post-process editing headroom. Some 8-bit files have zero post-process editing headroom.
JPEG - Joint Photographic Experts Group.
Photo Editing Tutorials
Digital Photo Professional 4 Tutorials
Canon DLC: Gallery: Digital Photo Professional (DPP) 4 Tutorial Videos
Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 Tutorial Videos (CPP 4.x) - CanonWatch
Canon releases series of tutorials for its Digital Photo Professional and EOS utility programs

Last edited:
Hi Steve,
welcome to the forums. Honestly I don´t know much about DPP because I have used other software ever since I used digital cameras. I just watched an intro video sugested by studio101, showing the available tools above to get an idea about the options it offers.
That said - if you take the time to learn a software, you might consider investing the time into something that is more industry standard and commonly used so that people can give you tipps, etc and you can watch tutorials on. PLUS: has more tools and options.
The most used software among photographs is adobe lightroom. One thing that I missed, looking at the interface of DPP was the use of presets - not just white balance or crop presets, but complete presets (or even parts, like white balance plus brightness plus contrast without all the other settings) you can copy not only from one image to another, but save as a preset. You can even get presets in the web that you can import to achieve a certain look that you can finetune for your needs.
That said, lightroom isn´t a free software, so if you will only use it occasionally it might not be worth it. If you are not sure, there is a 30day free trial. The costs are US$ 140 for the stand alone version you can own/buy, and then there is a rental version for $10 per month (that includes photoshop).
To give you an idea, I just did a google image search for "Canon DPP before and after" and another one for "Lightroom before and after" while the first search didn´t return too many results at all, the examples are rather underwhelming compared to the latter.
Just the 2c of somebody who invested a lot of time into learning and then changed software ;) .

DPP is an industry standard, as far as camera maker's post processing applications that are included with the cameras they sell.

Most reactions

Back