Digital proofs.... but how to avoid theft?

Summer75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to start using online proofs, with a password protected page on my site for that client. But in this day and age even with a low res file, they can screenshot and use it for social media. How is the best way to use proofs online? Does one put a big watermark across it? That doesn't sound too appealing for the viewing which is the point of the proof but is the only method I can think of. What is the acceptable practice for this method?

Usually proofs have always been watermarked. Did you have a contract? Did you get payment before providing proofs? Try American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA to get resources from pro photographers organizations to learn how to do all this and find out how pros do it.

I haven't yet used digital proofs, I am in the planning stages of using this method. How would I watermark them for online proofing? Across the entire image diagonally?

I designed my own watermark in ms word then used layers to add to photo I also invested in a company imbossing seal to imboss the paper photo.
Have a look at your photos and maybe in future when you shoot plan the shot to allow for the watermark
You don’t want to “ruin” the pic but you don’t want someone to just be able to crop it out

I designed my own watermark in ms word then used layers to add to photo I also invested in a company imbossing seal to imboss the paper photo.
Have a look at your photos and maybe in future when you shoot plan the shot to allow for the watermark
You don’t want to “ruin” the pic but you don’t want someone to just be able to crop it out

Thanks!

I have seen some pictures with just a subtle watermark so that you can still see the pic others obliterate the pic
My photography is just a hobby but I still don’t want others copying my work .I sat down and looked at just what I wanted to do knowing that I then could design my watermark and imboss. I now have two one that has my name and the copyright info the other is much the same except that it says Display only on the back of my paper photos
I have a sticker stuck to the pic again with copyright info
There used to be a programme called No right click I have used that in the past for e images and or stories it is meant to stop others using the right hand button to copy and paste how and if it will work with screen shots I don’t know

Ok having re read your question I see that it’s limited access by password can you keep a record of who logs in
And is it worth a introductory notice that screen shoots are disallowed EG the following or var of same

Hi welcome to my photo web site it is password protected for you privacy as well as ( add whatever here) to protect your privacy screen shoots, coping of any form is disallowed as well as being against the law as all work is copyrighted

You could go on to say that you can provide sm jpg for social media at a price
Hope this is of better help, now that I have re read original question

I have decided against the password protection. The only people who will have access to the site will be those with the URL anyway. That feels private enough and easier for them to share with friends and family to get advise on what to purchase.

I have played around with the Photoshop brushes. It seems like a nice way to give a low opacity watermark across the entire image while still being able to see the photo quite good. I may go that route. Still playing around with ideas here...

Ok sounds like you have a plan and know what you are doing all the best

I've done my own that I customize in Photoshop, but I'm doing art prints these days so don't have a lot to watermark. Some photographers seem to come up with a standard watermark for a larger number of photos. I think opaque watermarks seem to work to cover enough of the image yet make it viewable.

This made me think too if you haven't yet, you may want to work on figuring out payments, etc. I think people run into problems if they don't get full payment or a retainer/deposit and go ahead and provide images, because then people have the photos witihout having made a payment.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back