Digital Workflows

magicmonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What do you do once you've got a RAW image into photoshop? I know that no 2 photos are going to be processed the same way but I'm really asking what your basic steps are before you get into playing around with finishing touches. I think this could be really good for photoshop noobs (like me) as I'm sure there are a few pretty essential steps that I'm missing out:blushing:

Are you asking what to do to the raw image in camera raw, or what to do with the image after you've converted it from raw and opened it in photoshop?

There's no set formula. Make the photo look as good as you can. Every photo neeeds it's own special treatment.

Mine looks like this:

Convert from RAW to TIFF with Breeze Browser. I use a batch mode unless the images requires something specific.

Convert from color to b&w with channel mixer (most of my work ends up b&W)

Usually a levels layer adjustment to set the black and white points at the ends of the histogram curve. I might play with the mid grey point a little.

Usually an overall curves layer to give the majority of the image the contrast I want.

Sometimes various curves layers masked for specific areas.

Spot removal, if need be.

Crop, if need be.

Apply my frame as a layer.

Save as second TIFF.

Resize for the web. Sharpen for that size. Save as JPG.

If I'm going to print, I use the second TIFF, sharpen for that size, print, but not save with the shapening. If I know I'm going to be making a lot of prints of it at various times, I'll save a TIFF with the sharpening just for printing.

Some image might require more, but that's the basics. If I were doing color, there'd be more involved with color work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back