Dilemma, help me decide :)

Unkki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

After many years my trusty old Sony DSC HX-1 is showing its age and my Sony Xperia Z3 (phone) doesn't cut it either, I'm ready for a better and more serious camera.

I work as a commercial pilot and take lots of pictures while flying, mostly point and shoot. So I guess you could say most pictures are landscapes, cockpit shots (wide angle) and exterior shots of airplanes. Sometimes in low light situations, exactly where my current gear falls short.

The cameras has to be compact and easy to transport so naturally the mirror-less camera's caught my attention. But I guess a small SLR would be OK too.

Before I forget, my budget is around 750 USD. I will save and maybe buy a lens with a shorter focal length and better low light capabilities.

What I've found myself:

Sony A5100 - base 448 USD and 598 USD (kit lens and sold out everywhere)

Sony A6000 - 698 USD (with kit lens)

Pentax K-S2 DSLR Camera with 18-50mm & 50-200mm Lenses - 660 USD

So now my dilemma is;

should I buy the base A5100 (which is in stock) and find a lens myself, if so which?

or buy the A6000 and stick with the kit lens?

or go for the Pentax with 2 kit lenses

If you have any other suggestions feel free to share.

Thanks in advance!

I think you should get the Sony A6000 with the "kit"lens. Many people assume the standard lens that is packaged with a camera is total garbage, but in my opinion they are quite decent for the money.

The second lens in the Pentax deal is going to seem like so much extra baggage someday. I doubt if you'll use it much.

Agree with @Designer. The only time you may need the 50-200 would be if you want to get a close-up of specific exterior airplane parts (where you may not be able to reach with an 18-50 or 16-50).

I think that you should be paying attending to flying the plane, not taking pictures. But then I fly fairly frequently so I am funny about that idea that the pilot should be flying the plane. :allteeth:

If however you have a good co-pilot I would agree that A6000 would be my choice.

All look to be capable for what you want. If you have the access to lay hands on, would suggest you do so, as you may find one or the other has a better feel for you.

Most reactions

Back