Disapponting Fireworks

dslrchat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
forums.dslrchat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I read and researched and still ended up blowing the fireworks photos.

Maybe I overwhelmed myself to a point that I just blew it!

Very blurry, most are over exposed, some under exposed, horizon on a slant, I can go on and on :(

The display only lasted 10 minutes (and not really that spectacular)

I figured I would blow the first couple of photos but then get a few good ones at the end,
However I never got in the groove or felt comfortable.

Hopefully I can improve by Canada Day.
(oh yeah, out of focus on most too!)
I used manual mode with Bulb shutter and manual focus, (i tried to prefocus but guess I missed there as well)

fw1.jpg

fw2.jpg

fw3.jpg

Rule no. 1: Tripod, tripod, tripod.

Did I mention you'll need a tripod?

Set your camera to manual focus, (focus on infinity), and manual exposure. I use f8 (something around the middle of your apeture range) and exposure times of between 2.5 and 4 seconds.

Try and anticipate the firework by a fraction of a second. If you keep a careful eye on the area where they're launching them from you can usually see the little orange 'ember' of the firework being launched. As soon as you see it at apogee, press the shutter release (A remote release is a MUST, and ideally your mirror should be locked up as well). Check the image (ignore the histogram, it's pretty much useless for this) and adjust the shutter speed to get the length of trails you like.

In point of fact, yours aren't bad at all. A steady platform for the camera (That's a tripod! ;) ) and they'd be perfect.

Have a look at my fireworks gallery and check out the EXIF data on the images for more details

(http://www.johnsphotography.ca/Images/Fireworks/index.html)

Well I was using a Tripod, but I need something better than the POS I got off of Ebay.
I have a remote trigger on the way, so hopefully that will help.
"Focus on Infinity" Not sure what you mean by that?

Ok, and here is a real DUMB question I have, I use an XTI, in manual mode, how do you change the F Stops?
I know how to change shutter speed.

Well I was using a Tripod, but I need something better than the POS I got off of Ebay.

Ok, and here is a real DUMB question I have, I use an XTI, in manual mode, how do you change the F Stops?

Hold the AP +/- button and scroll the wheel that you do for shutter speeds.

I did not have to load photos to PC to know they awful, I just never felt comfortable.

As I was walking out, I did try and save the evening with this shot.

fw4.jpg

hey , i think if you play with the photo (the last one) a bit , it has some potential. IMO anyway..Do you mind if i play with it?

Ok well being you have its ok to edit under your Avatar.. i made some changes . My apologies if you wish for your photos to be untouched. (but you should change that "its ok" to "its NOT ok" If this is the case ;)

Not great but made it a bit darker, and cropped out the unsightly hand rail in the front of the photo.

fw4.jpg

Oh and I sharpend it a bit too ;)

it could have been cropped at the top as well. this was a quick 2 min edit.. but to give you (and my self ) and idea... Im practicing too and very new to alot, so I like to play around and see what i can get with not only my photos as well. :)

Sorry, should have explained that better. Manually focus your lens so that it is focused on the furthest point it can (the sideways '8' on the distance scale). IMHO, a tripod is one place not to scrimp. I love my Manfrottos! Keep an eye on eBay for a good used Manfrotto or Giotto. Some of the higher-end Velbons aren't too bad either.

careful with the infinity focus. i've seen lenses that go past infinity and they fuzz a bit. if there is an infinity mark, set focus to there, not necessarily as far as it goes. (cheack out your lens during the day time on something really far). also, firworks will always be a bit fuzzy because they are moving subjects. with a multi second exposure the lit smoke will move and make the lines soft. another option for fireworks if a faster shutter speed and freeze the image after it has expanded but before it has dimed. that takes a bit of timing but gets good results with certain types of fireworks.

I liked the railing and the reflection in the water but maybe you can bring the sharpness up a tad...
I'm wondering if you bought the same POS tripod as I bought was the seller in Canada?
It was worth the money but not substantial enough to really hold an SLR..

These are pretty good, but you definetly need a good tripod, also, you should try to get the shell on its way up in the air in the shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back