Discuss legality of taking pictures of strangers

I said this in another thread, but I really wouldn't take any answers about law as law from an Internet message board. This is nothing against any of us here, but we aren't lawyers, and the laws vary so greaty not only from country to country, but they can from state to state (in the USA). Talk to an experienced local photographer who is willing to spend some time with you (a lawyer would be best, but you might have to pay). Make sure it's someone who knows what they are doing. If you get sued for copyright infingement or invasion of privacy, you could end up paying big bucks.

Malls and banks are private property, so the rules are usually very different there than when you are on the street, where they are different than when you are attending a newsworthy event, but it really depends on where you are and how you use the photograph. The differences may be subtle at times, but can be important. Too make matters more complicated, the US government is coming down on what was (and I thought legally still is) legitimate photography of public places, like bridges and such.

another side answer: here in China you feel like there´s no legislation on anything at all, but a friend of mine was some days ago taking pictures on the street (in Kunming) and a cop came to him and said that foreigners need a permit to do photographs anywhere... Usually there should not be any problem, that time first of october was approaching, and they were "getting tougher", in a broad sense; i guess here it just depends on the mood on the official in charge, as always happens...

markc said:
I said this in another thread, but I really wouldn't take any answers about law as law from an Internet message board. This is nothing against any of us here, but we aren't lawyers, and the laws vary so greaty not only from country to country, but they can from state to state (in the USA). Talk to an experienced local photographer who is willing to spend some time with you (a lawyer would be best, but you might have to pay). Make sure it's someone who knows what they are doing. If you get sued for copyright infingement or invasion of privacy, you could end up paying big bucks.

I happen to be a law student. Funnily enough, I must agree with you - laws in immaterial rights vary enough to cause confusion between borders for there to be one strict definition. However, you can stay assured that pretty much wherever you'll go, you will need permission from a portrayed person if you're going to use the portrait for financial purposes, or for web publishing. I would keep that in mind as a
rule of thumb, not a guarantee. Check out your local regulations if you are serious about putting out your photos to the public, including the Internet.

Domo arigato.

Crikey Gerry, go find a credit union. Usually much better.

I remember one time my bank charged me for insufficent funds. But the thing is they didn't allow the charge to go through. Meaning I never actually went below zero balance. So they shouldn't be able to charge for insufficent funds. Makes you want to smack somebody.

Well I know how paypal works now. Before I thought my credit card was the default source of money after the paypal ballance, but it seems paypal makes the bank account be the default source no matter what. Now that I know that, it wont happen again. Paypal is just nicer to use since people trust it and you can send the people the merchandise same day as the end of the auction if they pay fast enough.

Different banks let you do different things. I can get overdraft protection so if I go over, I get charged interest, which is like 200 times higher than the interest they pay me, go figure. :0)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back