Distant background lines?

What body/settings? It almost resembles banding noise. Almost.

Could be the filter as the culprit too. There's a pretty big front element on that bad boy to not expect IQ issues shooting through a filter...

I'd remove the UV filter and retest.
UV filters are needed for film, not digital
plus, that is one Cheap filter and you can expect performance to equate to purchase price for most filters.

Even well made quality UV filters kept on lenses for 'protection' usually cause more problems than they solve.
Making lens flare more likely by adding a air gap at the front of the optical path is one issue just about any UV filter will promote.
Often, when a UV filter kept on the front of a lens for 'protection' gets broken, sharp shards of the thin filter glass get pushed back into and gouge or scratch the front lens element the UV filter was intended to protect.

The anti-lens flare and light transmission coatings on front lens elements is way more robust than many neophyte photographers realize.
The front lens element is also quite a bit thicker and more robust than a thin UV filter.

Use of a lens hood not only keeps lens flare to a minimum, it also offers some impact protection to the front lens element.

Buckster posted images he had problems with that had obvious Newton's Rings caused by a quality UV filter he used to keep on a lens of his.

shattered UV filter and resulting lens scratch
Front Element Scratches
Dirty lens article

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I will test without the filter. The lens and filter were bought very recently. Both are pretty much brand new. I had always been told to keep a clear filter on every lens for protection. The body is a D800 and I was shooting at 400 ISO and f6.3.

Thanks for the replies. I will test without the filter. The lens and filter were bought very recently. Both are pretty much brand new. I had always been told to keep a clear filter on every lens for protection. The body is a D800 and I was shooting at 400 ISO and f6.3.
here's 2 good articles
==> When Not to Use a UV Filter
==> UV Filters

Most reactions

Back