Distorted people - need help

mamadada

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am fairly new to the photography things, so pleeze bare with me. I am sure this has been posted 1K times. However, I must not be using the correct words in searching. What kind of lense should I use to photograph people in full standing positions fairly close up? Everyone comes out distorted or convex looking. Larger at the top and feet look smaller. Help???!!!:(

I am fairly new to the photography things, so pleeze bare with me. I am sure this has been posted 1K times. However, I must not be using the correct words in searching. What kind of lense should I use to photograph people in full standing positions fairly close up? Everyone comes out distorted or convex looking. Larger at the top and feet look smaller. Help???!!!:(

The problem isn't the lens, it's the fact that you are close to them.

Am I using the wrong terminology and is there any other solution? I tried a 55-200 mm lens and I have to get too far and then have flash issues and also if I am trying to shoot in a crowd well that's impossible isn't it?

Different lenses will give you differing amounts of distortion...but for the most part, the wider the lens and the closer you are, the more of this type of distortion you will get.

So yes, the solution is to back and and/or use a longer lens. If that gives you flash issues, then get a more powerful flash and/or move the flash off-camera. If crowds are an issue, then figure out a way to avoid them.

Can you give me an example of a better flash? I only bought the sb400. I though for sure there was a lens solution.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back