Distortion?

Munk_KN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, first time poster here. Bought a Nikon D3100 about a month ago as my first DSLR and have been trying to learn as much as possible (despite being super busy with exams since getting the camera :confused:).
Anyways, i took a few shots yesterday and to me one of them looks pretty distorted. At least that's what i think the correct term is..? Was hoping someone could tell me why this is. Added a #2 shot for reference.
I am using the 18-55mm VR kit lens and the photos were taken at 55mm, f/5,6 and shutter speed 1/8 sec and 1/4 sec respectively.

#1 - The one i think looks distorted

DSC_0236.jpg by Munk_KN, on Flickr

DSC_0233.jpg by Munk_KN, on Flickr

I'm actually quite happy with the distorted shot, but i am confused as to why it looks like that.

I'm on my phone so the pictures are small but the first one just looks completely out of focus. Were you really close?

What do you mean by "distorted"? Both photos have relatively low shutter speeds for what would be I'm guessing a hand held shot. Are you referring to digital noise or are you unhappy with your focus point? Were you hoping to get the fingers in focus and not the strings in the first photo?

To me it looks like the focus is around the 3rd fret. But yeah, i was pretty close.

What do you mean by "distorted"? Both photos have relatively low shutter speeds for what would be I'm guessing a hand held shot. Are you referring to digital noise or are you unhappy with your focus point? Were you hoping to get the fingers in focus and not the strings in the first photo?

Yup, handheld. No no, I wanted to get the strings in focus.
What i meant was that the fretboard appears to "bend" in a way, around the 3rd and 4th fret. And i know the fretboard is quite straight :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back