Ditching the Grip

robbins.photo

Yup, It's The Zoo Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, well most folks who know me know that I have raved about my battery grips for my D5200's on several occasions. Truth is I love having the grip - the extended battery life really isn't a big issue but man that vertical shooting button rocks, and frankly having the extra weight to balance the 70-200 is great.

But after recently reading a thread from Snerd - you know what? As a show of solidarity I'm ditching the grip. I've removed it for now and I will be shooting without it until Snerd is well enough to use his again.

So let's all show Snerd we care - ditch the grip folks. Join the movement.

:)

Aw, you're too kind. Thanks. Both my cameras look so small atop the tripod without the grip! It will be hardest with the 70-200 handheld, for sure, like you said. But the more I think about it, I don't really do any portrait shots, so what the hell?! Ditch the grip!!

Aw, you're too kind. Thanks. Both my cameras look so small atop the tripod without the grip! It will be hardest with the 70-200 handheld, for sure, like you said. But the more I think about it, I don't really do any portrait shots, so what the hell?! Ditch the grip!!

Exactly.. solidarity brother. And not to worry about tecboy, I seriously doubt he'll survive the pit fight anyway. Lol

I like the canon grip on my 5D Mark III it makes it look like my 1DX.

I carry 2 cameras on my body at weddings. I do not need the extra weight. Plus I shoot 95% horizontal.

I like the canon grip on my 5D Mark III it makes it look like my 1DX.

Oh, I do too! It's just too heavy at the moment. I'm being forced to shoot without it for a few months. I'll go back to it, no doubt. It feels much more balanced to me with it on, probably because that's how I learned.

I carry 2 cameras on my body at weddings. I do not need the extra weight. Plus I shoot 95% horizontal.

Ok.. wow.. you guys just really aren't getting this at all are you?

Lol

Let's try this again. Snerd recently had surgery on his shoulder - as a result he cannot use his grip on his camera at the moment. So, as a show of support I am taking my own grips off my cameras for now and I won't be using them again until Snerd is able to use his, and I recommend that my fellow TPF'ers who also use battery grips to do the same as a show of solidarity.

If however you don't like or use battery grips, well since it's the internet maybe you can just fib a bit to Snerd and tell him you won't be using a grip either - and just leave off the part where you mention that you don't ever use them.

Lol

Dude, I'm way down the who's-who list. Even the few who know my name probably don't think too well of me. But it's the thought that counts, thanks!

Snerd,
I put in a brand-new hacksaw blade earlier, right before dinner,went in, ate dinner, came back and started sawing. I've been sawing off the in-built grip of my big Nikon, and have progressed about two inches into the removal operation, with around, oh I guess three inches left to hacksaw off. My hand is starting to cramp, and earlier I tried using my left hand for a bit, but it was awkward, and I managed to bind up the blade and break one, so I put in my second new Stanley blade. By midnight I suspect I'll have sawed all the way across. All of this is true!* I did all of this, and I mean allllll this, just for you, buddy!

*[ Well, I DID eat dinner earlier. And I do own a hacksaw. And I like Stanley blades for it.]

Snerd,
I put in a brand-new hacksaw blade earlier, right before dinner,went in, ate dinner, came back and started sawing. I've been sawing off the in-built grip of my big Nikon, and have progressed about two inches into the removal operation, with around, oh I guess three inches left to hacksaw off. My hand is starting to cramp, and earlier I tried using my left hand for a bit, but it was awkward, and I managed to bind up the blade and break one, so I put in my second new Stanley blade. By midnight I suspect I'll have sawed all the way across. All of this is true!* I did all of this, and I mean allllll this, just for you, buddy!

*[ Well, I DID eat dinner earlier. And I do own a hacksaw. And I like Stanley blades for it.]

Sweet Jesus.. it's like herding cats...

rotflmao

Herding cats? Anybody can herd cattle. Holding together 10,000 half-wild shorthairs...well...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just go to the gym. No grip needed, even when I shoot I handed vertically with the 70-200. That's what VC is for ;)

snerd.. I am not using vgrip just for you!

Most reactions

Back