diy beauty dish

goodoneian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
yesterday i found myself quite bored and stumbled across this article,

Annual Report Photographer David Tejada "The f-Stops Here": Beauty Dish for SB-800,

and decided to make one of my own since i had half the materials needed laying around my house.

over all i think i spent 11 dollars purchasing what i didn't have, which is a pretty good deal i must say.

here's the dish with an sb600 inside of it
350kmx3.jpg

you can kind of see the stofen diffuser stuck on the end of the flash. the instructions didn't call for that, but i find the light pattern a lot more diffused with it on.

c5c2o.jpg

velco strap to hold it in place

9qidz7.jpg

from the front

and this is the patter of light created at iso 250, f/4, and the flash at 1/16 power from around 4 feet from the wall
n530g3.jpg

not the most even pattern but i'm happy for what i payed for it

and here's a picture i took with it earlier. i would've liked to use it more today but i was somewhat busy with school work. it seems like it will take some getting used to though
3283078233_11d5307280.jpg

Last edited:
Quick questions, what are the gutter? Which section could I find it at HomeDepot? I went for a quick walk today and had no idea what that is or where it is. Thx.

Kcc

Edit: It was done really nicely, how long did it take u to finish it?

Quick questions, what are the gutter? Which section could I find it at HomeDepot? I went for a quick walk today and had no idea what that is or where it is. Thx.

Kcc

Edit: It was done really nicely, how long did it take u to finish it?

it only took me a couple of hours to do. i let all the paint dry overnight though, so i didn't use it till the day after i completed it.

and here's the gutter piece i used. in my home depot it was all the way in the back behind the lumber in the building materials section.

my sb600's and sb80dx fit in it perfectly

http://i40.tinypic.com/2meoih0.jpg

again, not one of my best pictures by any means, but this is with the dish pretty much on axis held just above the camera, about 2 feet from my friend
3292727551_fa2fa891a6.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back