Diy family portriat.

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm really not sure if this is the right spot for this, hopefully I got it right!

Anyways, we desperately need our family portrait taken. DS is already 16 months old and we don't have a family picture done yet. Unfortunately, between a recent move, a broken transmission and bald tires, we really can't afford to get professional ones taken right now. I've got some Muslins, and a few lights and a lots of space, so I am going to try to do them myself. I have no problem doing my kids pictures, I do it all the time, but a group picture that I have to be in is a bit intimidating. I am hoping someone can offer me some tips and advice on the easiest poses to get a good shot with. We are a family of 4. 2 adults, a 5 year old and the toddler. I just need ONE shot to hang above the couch, anything else is a bonus.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Edit: I have 2 office chairs I can remove the backs from to use as posing stools, but that's about it as far as seating goes.

Set the camera to release the shutter every few seconds, and then just hang out in front of the camera for a while. Or you could ask a friend/family member to help out.

Posing is hard to explain. You said you do it all the time so you should have a sense of what looks good. Avoid shoulders being square to the camera. Bend what can be bent, and get your lighting right.

cwcaesar said:
Set the camera to release the shutter every few seconds, and then just hang out in front of the camera for a while. Or you could ask a friend/family member to help out.

*sigh* no family around, and we just moved so have no close friends. The best my camera has right now is a 3 shot burst, so it will be a lot of back and forth.

hirejn said:
Posing is hard to explain. You said you do it all the time so you should have a sense of what looks good. Avoid shoulders being square to the camera. Bend what can be bent, and get your lighting right.

I do kids often, but I have never delt with a group over 2.

*sigh* no family around, and we just moved so have no close friends. The best my camera has right now is a 3 shot burst, so it will be a lot of back and forth.

On the one hand, it might be a good way to meet the neighbors. On the other hand, if your camera has the option of an IR remote, they are pretty cheap. I saw one today for less than $4. If no infrared, then go knock next door.

Designer said:
On the one hand, it might be a good way to meet the neighbors. On the other hand, if your camera has the option of an IR remote, they are pretty cheap. I saw one today for less than $4. If no infrared, then go knock next door.

My camera will take a remote, but we really need to get these done tomorrow. (Yes I know, I want my cake and to eat it too!) I live in the middle of nowhere so I can't just run to bestbuy and grab one. If these fail epically, the I will buy a remote and try again.

I was really hoping for some posing suggestions that would be easy to slip in and out of.

Designer said:

My camera will take a remote, but we really need to get these done tomorrow. (Yes I know, I want my cake and to eat it too!) I live in the middle of nowhere so I can't just run to bestbuy and grab one. If these fail epically, the I will buy a remote and try again.

I was really hoping for some posing suggestions that would be easy to slip in and out of.

Get hubby to hold the little one, and just position the older one in front of your place then set the timer, and walk over to your place, sit down, and hope for the best.

Designer said:

I just realize how funny it is you mentioned the neighbor because as it stands my next door neighbor happens to be a retired collage professor who was head of the art department. * sigh* if only I didn't feel like a loony saying, "hey why don't you stop by for dinner, and while you're at it, take my family portraits free of charge."

Put a giant mirror on the wall behind the camera and use a wireless shutter release.[/FONT][/COLOR]

On a more series note.

And the person needs to be a close friend. Ask a neighbor, a coworker, someone from church, ask the forum if anyone lives nearby, stop the postman as he is delivering mail.

Lots of options for people who can help you.

Designer said:

Get hubby to hold the little one, and just position the older one in front of your place then set the timer, and walk over to your place, sit down, and hope for the best.

Why hope for the best? Set the focus on the husbands eye with the right DOF and it shouldn't be too hard to get in pose before the shutter goes off.

I took a chance on el cheapo. Had some bad reviews like product didn't work at all or the battery had to be replaced. Mine has been fine; at $2 a pop, no big deal if it needs to be replaced.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back