DIY SLR lenses for iPhone

letusdiy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been trying to learn a bit more about the optics involved in mid- to pro-level cameras, and I've been finding that getting out the tools and doing some hacking serves as a great mechanism for instruction. Just recently the idea of optical couplers - that is, a system to transmit light from one optical device to another to make an image - has gotten my attention.

Mainly just to see if it was possible (and to teach myself about optical couplers), I thought I'd try my hand at building an adapter so I could attach SLR lenses to my iPhone. The result is pretty cheesy, but nevertheless - I present to you, the Phone-O-Scope:
20205RU009.jpg

more info
DIY SLR lenses for iPhone -----LetusDIY.ORG|DIY Everything here

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen... even more-so than the magnetic stick-on lenses for camera phones.

Why did I buy a DSLR? I could have just bought a lens for my iPhone! Who knew?

Will this be considered an "App"? :lol:

Throwing the image through more glass will only decrease image quality

I'm just wondering how slow you can hand hold it. I'm sure the duct tape works as well or better than VR. :lmao:

Why is it so dumb? Don't people get creative with pin hole cams? Don't new inventions and innovations come from ideas like this?

I wonder if the person that put an actual cam in a phone was made fun of like this.

I don't know if anyone on this forum has worked with prototypes but I have seen a few made from duct tape and cardboard that later went into production.

I think people are commenting moreso about how absurd it is to tape a SLR zoom lens onto an iPhone.

I'm sure Apple will jump right on this though. :popcorn:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back