What's new

Do lenses come with a lens hood?

bigheadkyle2

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 22, 2011
Messages
55
Reaction score
1
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this probably seems like a dumb question but I am putting together a list of equipment to know how much it will be and I was wondering if Nikon lenses come with lens hoods or do I need to add them to my list.

Also I have another question, what kind of graduated ND filter should I get? I have been trying to get it down but there are about 19395023959235 choices.
 
Last edited:
My brother's canon Kit len come with the camera doesn't have len hood.
My Nikon 18-200mm VR II has a len hood.
 
Yes, lenses come with hoods--most aftermarket hoods are sold to replace lost lens hoods.As for nd filters, stay away from cheap Chinese brands. The best filters are made in Germany (b+w, heliopan), if you want something less expensive, Japanese brands like tiffen and aren't bad.
 
Most Nikon lenses come with a lens hood, but not all - particularly older lenses like the 50 mm AF f1.4D. You can find out what they come with by going to the Nikon site, looking the lens up and viewing the 'Supplied Accessories' or go to the B&H site and look at 'What's in the box'.

Best,
Helen
 
Thanks for the help. I looked on B&H and I don't need to buy any lens hoods. I had been looking on there but never noticed the what's in the box section. The thing I'm having trouble with about the ND filters is that I have seen people use the rectangular ones but I'm just not sure which to get. A link to which ones would be best would be great.
 
Thanks for the help. I looked on B&H and I don't need to buy any lens hoods. I had been looking on there but never noticed the what's in the box section. The thing I'm having trouble with about the ND filters is that I have seen people use the rectangular ones but I'm just not sure which to get. A link to which ones would be best would be great.

Right now I just have a circular polarizer, but I'd like to get a couple of ND filters. First a ND 10stop and also a graduated ND filter. For a regular nd filter I think it seems to me that the screw on type would be easiest and most convenient. For graduated nd filters, the rectangular makes sense because you can hand-hold and adjust the graduation to fit your horizon.
 
If this is your first camera purchase and it isn't for a specialized sort of photography, you can probably skip the filters for now. There will already be a lot to learn and adding more accessories into it may just end up overwhelming you. I have a complete set of filters and have only used them twice, and those were for very specific shots that couldn't be done other ways.

When you are researching new camera gear, try not to get hung up on the little stuff.

A good basic starter kit would include a camera body, a general purpose lens(kit lens), a telephoto or fast prime based on what you like to shoot, a tripod, a flash, memory card, and a bit of money left over for a few books and some software.

It is awesome that you are trying to do all the research that you can, but lens hoods and filters are probably not where you need to dedicate your time.
 
canons, with the exception of L lenses, do not come with lens hoods.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom