What's new

I have "Trust" Issues When Considering Buying Used Equipment. How do Y'all get over that?

RScottie124 38

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
May 27, 2025
Messages
333
Reaction score
427
Location
Kentucky!
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have trust issues.

Not about everything, but when it comes to buying things that have been previously used, I fear getting something that will not be worth it.

When it comes to Camera Equipment, how do you guys and gals "know" that what you are getting is as described?

I see used lenses that say "Excellent" or "Like New" and then the pictures of the lens looks horrible or at least very used.

There are descriptions that include scary things such as "minor dust in the lens" or "normal scuffs and scratches" that simply makes me not want to take the chance.

I want to save money but don't wish to get burned.

Do y'all have any tips on finding good deals without getting lemons?
 
When buying used, go to a reputable source with free return, and read the fine print.
 
Here in the UK, we have reputable dealers who buy and sell gear with a guarantee. As for eBay, they offer a money-back deal. So basically, you have to check everyone out. Good luck ... :encouragement:
 
Reduced risk costs. Hands up for who KEH has shafted recently? Marketplace or eBay? You'll get bags of advice here on how to shop the big auction site. Can only advise patience when shopping for specific items. Be willing to walk and wait. Remember you really don't need this stuff.
 
Reduced risk costs. Hands up for who KEH has shafted recently? Marketplace or eBay? You'll get bags of advice here on how to shop the big auction site. Can only advise patience when shopping for specific items. Be willing to walk and wait. Remember you really don't need this stuff.

LOL, but but but, I really do!
 
For starters, brokers like MPB and dealers like Adorama have good return policies.
Unless you are fond of gambling or lying awake at night, don't buy "big" from anyone who doesn't have a return policy or who has poor ratings and bad pictures of the goods.
I just got refunded by MPB for a mint lens that was, it appears, a Japanese import, no problem, and I have bought high-cost items from them before.
On Ebay, my experience has been that Japanese camera shops and dealers in Japan selling "used" offer great service and reliable descriptions. They truly seem to understand Great Customer Service.
For anything else on EBay, I look very carefully at ratings, also if the seller actually sells more items like the one offered or of is he just a yard-sale hoarder flipping things.

Rock-bottom deals usually come with their own implied risks. Pay a bit more for the brokers or dealers and get peace of mind.

C.
 
There are items that have hidden defects, things that cause trouble only in certain rare situations. Example: the Canon 70-300mm zoom of years ago had focus issues when held in portrait mode. That issue was eventually acknowledged by Canon, but there are most likely other such issues that never are. For instance, I had an issue with the 100-400mm that intermittently suffered focus lock when pointing up. Canon service couldn't replicate the issue. I was able to exchange the lens. The replacement was fine.

What happens to these items with rare faults? Depending on the dealer, they go back on the shelf, or to Canon where they get sold as refurbished. Ultimately they end up in the hands of consumers.

When users discover quirky behavior in an item, one recourse is to sell the item.

That's what I did with the Canon 18-55mm/2.8. It suffered inconsistent AF. Canon Service declared in writing that the lens was within specs.

I bought a used Canon 15-85mm. The pics were not as sharp as expected. Was it just a bad sample? I didn't know, but sold it.

I have read posts by folks who bought a used item that has a mysterious intermittent issue.

On the other hand, I have bought a lot of used stuff that performed great without any problem.

My conclusion is that used items will usually be fine, but occasionally they are not, and then you have little recourse.
 
Trust the websites mentioned above. Think how you are saving money. Cosmetic damage is useless. You are getting a better deal if you think about it. I am of the opinion that it is better to buy an older flagship than a newer budget model. Build quality is superior and the end results.
 
Consider the source and buy from reputable online sellers, check the warranty behind the purchase, read the return policy in full before buying, use a credit card for consumer protection.

I have never had an issue with any used equipment that I’ve bought online from Adorama, B&H, MPB. It is typically in much better condition than described. I’ve bought used gear in person from Hunts as well.

Once from KEH a used lens was advertised as Nikon mount and turned out to be Canon. The return was easy.
 
Trust the websites mentioned above. Think how you are saving money. Cosmetic damage is useless. You are getting a better deal if you think about it. I am of the opinion that it is better to buy an older flagship than a newer budget model. Build quality is superior and the end results.
Trailing edge gear, especially bodies, is well-worth investigating. Cameras displaced by newer models are usually bargains especially if they're lightly used. Nikon's late-game shift to mirrorless put a raft of DSLRs onto the used market.
 
I like Allen's Camera but I also use eBay. As both a buyer and a seller on eBay, I can vouch that their buyer protections are great. As a seller, I try to emphasize each and every thing that could be a flaw - that way is it less likely that I'll have to handle a return for something 'not as described'. If you see a listing that says there is a few specks of dust, the seller is likely protecting themselves.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom