DO PEOPLE GET OFF ON THIS?!?

I have had this one woman now, THREE TIMES, set a shoot, last minute "reschedule" and then last minute completely bail the day before the deposit is due (I require deposits to be paid 2 weeks before a portrait session, but they can pay at any time understanding that if someone else wants that date and pays immediately, it's a "you snooze, you lose" situation) This last time she wanted engagement pics and then decided yesterday (exactly the day before the deposit is due) that she isn't sure who she is hiring for her wedding photographer and that many of the ones she's talked to include an engagement session. I politely mention I am now also offering weddings if she would like me to send over a PDF of packages to view. She acts completely elated and wants it sent to her asap. I do so, she says she would like to hire me, I send her a link to pay for a wedding deposit, and she is now MIA again.

Also had my next door neighbor offer up her teenage daughter me to use for an hour of senior model shooting one weekend (it would be FREE, just a few shots to get my senior portfolio stronger and she could have some nice pics of her daughter) and the day before we're both outside getting the mail and I ask "She still up for tomorrow?" and the neighbor answers yes, that I should come by at 1.
I show up (well, I walked 5ft to the right of my house lol) and knocked for about 10min. No answer. TV blaring in the background, both cars on the driveway. WTF. So I wait another hour, come back over, knock again. This time I hear the TV volume go up, again, WTF. I leave, and since then she won't even look towards my house and if we are in the front yard at the same time she runs off, no explanation, no "sorry my daughter was sick" excuse, nothing. Just straight bailed on me after she had told me 12 hours prior we were good to go.

This last one really pissed me off:

Old friend from high school (hadn't seen her in 5 years) now has 2 kids and wants family pics, she's not well off and I don't mind helping someone out. I offer her a half off session and a free 8x10 print. She is pregnant with her third and wanted to a gender announcement with the kids, she tells me that she wanted to do balloons coming out of a neutrally decorated box. I told her,"Ya, that's adorable!" she replies, "Great, let me know when the box is finished and how much it was for the stuff and I'll pay it at the shoot."
Ummm... ok.
Against better judgment I pick up a cheap crate and embellished it by hand and glue-gun with some cream ribbons and odds and ends. I take a pic of the box and text it her, asking if that's what she wanted. She was very pleased. Now what I didn't mention above is that she lives 3 hours away, my mom lives 10min from her so I was going to town strictly to visit my mom and do her portraits, depending on her $ for my gas tank, not much profit to be made.
I follow up AGAIN, the day before I go to drive down there, she again says shes ready to go. I drive there (about 2 hours before the session) and she texts me saying she may be running late since she is getting her son's haircut for the pics, I say ok no problem, she then replies 1 hour later, "Oh my God! That hair place was such a rip-off! I can't believe I just spent $XX on his hair!" I say "Ya, nothing is the way it use to be! I'll see you soon?" her reply "Hey, I hate to ask, but is there anyway you can drop your price down lower? That hair place really screwed me." I told her I was sorry but that I already wasn't making anything as it is with her custom prop and 50% off I already gave her. She says ok.

I'm not kidding, 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE SHOOT, I'm setting up at the park we decided to use and she texts me, not calls, "OH MY GOD, I'M HEADED TO THE ER AMBER! CAN'T MAKE IT! MY SON IS TERRIBLY SICK!" So I'm left with no $, a custom prop that is useless, and an earful from my husband because I racked up $120 on gas & misc stuff on my pointless 3 hour trip.

So my question is, DO PEOPLE JUST GET OFF ON THIS SH**?! Why in the hell are people like this! I could never do that to someone! I would be beyond embarrassed.
Is there some kind of medical term for this lol??
Any one else have some awesome "My Grandma Died" stories from clients?
Apparently you never worked in Retail. They are called.......................(wait for it)..................................Browsers.

When you charge a low price, you are making it clear that you do not value your time, equipment, talent, and so on. Why on earth do you expect your customers to value any of this stuff?

If you stood to make $1000 obviously it would be a big deal if they bail. Since you're only charging $50 or whatever, how big of a deal can it be? So they don't feel bad about bailing out.

!

Set limits and guidelines. People will do that kind of thing all the time... the type of non-photography work I've done involved working with families, no-shows got a phone call then a letter then withdrawn if they didn't respond within a specific time frame. You might need to find a balance between being flexible and giving people too much leeway. (And if you're making a prop have it be something you can use again, not just for a one-time free/underpriced session that didn't work out.)

If you're going to be in business, then be in business! stop the freebies/underpricing (unless it's for a charity you choose to support). I don't know that you can ever eliminate all of this type thing but maybe it would help to learn techniques in how to schedule clients, give clear specific guidelines, etc. I think it takes being friendly yet professional and business-like and maybe your age and/or youthful appearance is sometimes not to your advantage - maybe it would help to think about how you portray yourself so people know you are a business owner.

Maybe a business class/workshop, such as an adult continuing ed. class, would be worth taking. I appreciate that you're a sincerely nice and generous person who likes people and has a personality that people respond to in a positive way - that can be a big part of being a photographer and you seem to have that. Maybe you need to think about what guidelines and procedures you should establish to help you be successful in running your own business.

This ^^^

I really do feel I am walked all over because of my age. Even when I'm mistaken for being 26 or 27 instead of 21 (my real age) I still get the "you're seriously running your own business?" looks.
I dress appropriately, after all I am a mother, and I approach people in a respectable manner. I have a bit of "customer care" training under my belt from years of retail work in high school. I was also (this is embarrassing) an exotic dancer through college and dealt with probably more bs than any other person my age had to deal with. I invested my money, met my husband and started a family. I feel I am very mature for my age and have lived a much "longer" life than most.
I guess I'm just too damn nice sometimes, since at one point I knew the financial struggle first hand, so I give people a break on when they are expected to pay. I also may have much lower prices than I need to have but I think everyone should be able to afford nice pictures of their family. Its important to me and I feel good about it. Most clients I have come back 2-4 times, always leaving me with wonderful words of praise for my flexibility and "humanness" I guess ill just have to put on my big bad business woman face to the people dawdling and tell them out flat how it works. Perhaps it'll get better when I'm old and mean looking lol.

When you charge a low price, you are making it clear that you do not value your time, equipment, talent, and so on. Why on earth do you expect your customers to value any of this stuff?

If you stood to make $1000 obviously it would be a big deal if they bail. Since you're only charging $50 or whatever, how big of a deal can it be? So they don't feel bad about bailing out.

!

I charge $130 for an hour session, not $50. I may still be on the super low budget end, but I'm not going to work for pennies. Its not a big deal if they bail financially, its a big deal because I spend countless hours scouting locations, going over everything with them via email or in person if they are available and I just think it's plain rude.

A deposit is refundable. A retainer is NOT.

I know what you mean about the last-minute cancellations. I just had a 29-minute phone convo with tomorrow's client, and I specifically asked her, "So, you're definitely going to show up, right? Because your $150 retainer is NOT refundable, and I will keep that, as it says in our written contract, whether you make it to the shoot location or not." I could tell that she understood I was not kidding. The check's already cleared, so...I expect she will show up, more or less on-time.

I know from another shooter whom I am FB friend with that she's been unreliable as hell when shooting with him for the past two years for "free"...

A deposit is refundable. A retainer is NOT.

I know what you mean about the last-minute cancellations. I just had a 29-minute phone convo with tomorrow's client, and I specifically asked her, "So, you're definitely going to show up, right? Because your $150 retainer is NOT refundable, and I will keep that, as it says in our written contract, whether you make it to the shoot location or not." I could tell that she understood I was not kidding. The check's already cleared, so...I expect she will show up, more or less on-time.

I know from another shooter whom I am FB friend with that she's been unreliable as hell when shooting with him for the past two years for "free"...

Everyone is always throwing the retainer vs deposit thing around, so I just out in writing on my site, on my contract and on my payment page that deposits are non-refundable under any circumstances (excluding acts of God)

The exact prices don't matter. The point is that this is a problem with the lower market segments in any business. Low prices imply low value, so customers tend to assume that you don't value it either.

The fact that you're working hard, that you do value it, etc, etc, is irrelevant. The customers see the low price and reach their own conclusions.

The advice on contracts and so forth is sound. I'm just answering your question about why people do this.

At least your getting calls regarding what you actually shoot. Since I started trying to get into sports photography, I get CONSTANT calls asking how much I would charge for something completely different, then I have to go on about how I ONLY do SPORTS. Most calls are about weddings, baby showers, and real estate. Half the time when I say I ONLY do SPORTS, I have been asked "oh, well, would you do the wedding for a discount then?"

lol As to the job, well the really sick thing is I really like my job.

That is pretty sick lol then again you seem like just the person who would he able to take those calls and laugh all the way home about it, kuddos.

Oh ya, they crack me up. They actually record eveything and they use a lot of these calls to train the floor supervisors on how to deal with irate calls - I guess because these are pretty much the worst of the worst you'll ever get. The callers will say almost anything to get you angry so you'll lose your temper or curse them they have something to use to get their money back.

I'm not sure where that idea got started but it seems to be pretty popular these days, in fact almost every call I do take (and granted, they are very few and far between) they almost all start of claiming that the agent or supervisor they were talking to was rude, etc - and my response is always the same, I apologize and then I ask them if they would like me to review the recording of their call to see if further action is warranted. For some reason they never seem to want me to listen to the actual call, they flip immediately into some half baked argument that because the agent was rude they should get a refund, and I explain that's not how it works. If they would like me to review the call recording and see if the agent was rude and if so recommend disciplinary action I'll be more than happy to do so, but the decision to refund is not based on that but rather on a completely different set of criteria.

It really does kill me though how many people think that if you call up and act like a 2 year old on a tear you'll get whatever you want. The few calls I do end up dealing with are the ones where they have called 5,6,8 times and spoken to multiple supervisors and they are still under the delusion that if they just make a big enough stink they'll get a refund. Of course they are always people who are well past the time period where we would be willing to offer a courtesy refund so the only guy in the Omaha office who can authorize a refund is.. dum dum dum.. yup, yours truly. And boy is refunding under those circumstances a royal pain in the keester - I have to adjust financial statements that were already finalized, I can't refund back to the card anymore even if a card was used because of the time limitations, so I would have to actually have our accounting department cut them a paper check, etc etc - and since our terms and conditions are exceptionally clear on the time frame you have to file a dispute, well I've only had one instance where I honestly felt a refund was warranted.

Last time the CEO was in town they actually had him listen to a few of them.. including the cop call. We got to the point in the call where the cop called me a sonofabitch, to which I responded - "Sir, I honestly think you would have liked my mother, had you ever met her". The CEO lost it. Lol. So yup, on the rare occasion I do take one of these I generally have a lot of fun with it. Lol

Get yourself a credit card reader and account from a credit card processor. Someone want to book - $150 depost, applied to whatever the package ends up costing. Forfeited if the appointment is missed.

I'm a contractor in the retail sector. Many people call in wanting someone to come out and give them a quote to fix the leak, or whatever. The standard response is - yes, we'll be there in half an hour. The service call fee is $350 plus taxes, and pays for the first hour we're on the job. The repair guy will bring you the credit card receipt when he comes. Now, where will be we going? Ok, thanks. Who's going to be there to show us what the problem is? Good. And what credit card will you be using to pay for the service call?

Those that don't want to pay... there are lots of other "contractors" in the phone book or on google search.

As for your age, it's irrelevant. If you can conduct yourself as a professional, deliver a professional experience and give your clients the value that they pay for, then you are a professional and your age is quite irrelevant.

I've had lots of jobs cancelled, usually given a week or more, but have had the day before happen as well. While I find it frustrating, I understand that things come up, people do get sick, or they just change their minds. I give people a couple of chances. I was suppose to do a team photo next week of a professional football team, I did some of the leg work yesterday, worked out where the risers were to be set up on the field, the time based on where the sun was going to be on that day, set out a list of what they had to do prior to the shoot to make it run smooth, and it was cancelled last night. The stadium where the photo is being done is brand new and there are still too many construction concerns going on, I told them weeks ago it was too early to set the shot up, but they insisted. It will be done at a later date, but now I have to hope it doesn't conflict with any other shoots I already have set up. It will be the first team photo for this new team back in the Canadian Football League, so historically it's important that everything be lined up correctly. I just accept that these things happen.

It's a real problem when shoots are scheduled and then overlap, that's the most frustrating. It's really the nature of the business. A lot of people just see photography as no big deal, especially these days, but it's a big deal to the photographer.

I suggest next time no deposit no confirmation. It will save you lots of fruitless efforts.

Thats it!!!! I would rather lose a customer because he/she was not sure than to lose my time and money. If person is not willng to pay deposit person is not that interested as simple as that. Also, once your customer feels that you are charging less and willing to negotiate more u lose, end of story.

Non-refundable deposit due at the time the session is booked. No deposit, no shoot. The balance should be paid at the beginning of the appointment. No balance payment, no shoot.

Giving off the cuff discounts is a bad idea. Word of mouth is the fastest, most effective form of marketing, and these people are going to tell others about "what a great deal you gave them." Others will come to expect the same discounts and will be confused as to why the price you quote them isn't the same as what they heard.

To put it simply, your business will not survive if you continue to treat it like a hobby. Chances are your friends and the people who keep bailing on you are not your target market.

I've had lots of jobs cancelled, usually given a week or more, but have had the day before happen as well. While I find it frustrating, I understand that things come up, people do get sick, or they just change their minds. I give people a couple of chances. I was suppose to do a team photo next week of a professional football team, I did some of the leg work yesterday, worked out where the risers were to be set up on the field, the time based on where the sun was going to be on that day, set out a list of what they had to do prior to the shoot to make it run smooth, and it was cancelled last night. The stadium where the photo is being done is brand new and there are still too many construction concerns going on, I told them weeks ago it was too early to set the shot up, but they insisted. It will be done at a later date, but now I have to hope it doesn't conflict with any other shoots I already have set up. It will be the first team photo for this new team back in the Canadian Football League, so historically it's important that everything be lined up correctly. I just accept that these things happen.

It's a real problem when shoots are scheduled and then overlap, that's the most frustrating. It's really the nature of the business. A lot of people just see photography as no big deal, especially these days, but it's a big deal to the photographer.

You're shooting the RedBlacks! Very cool. Now I'm going to keep a special eye out for that photo. Do you ever work with the Ticats?

I agree with Vince - no deposit, no confirmation. I get my family shots done every 9 months - year, and my photographer is also my babysitter - I consider her a friend first, even though we started as a business relationship. I still don't book a shoot with her until I can pay at least 50% up front, with the rest to follow right away.

Most reactions

Back