Do specific cameras require specific lenses?

Flybye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. First time here. :) I just acquired an old Nikon EM 35mm camera with a few lens (45mm, 50mm, 135mm), but I'm not sure if specific cameras require specific lenses.

All the lenses that came in this batch are from Konica and Vivatar. I haven't tested the camera with any film, yet. What I have noticed is no matter which lenses I put on the EM, I can't get a proper focus from anything far away. Take the 50mm for example. I have been reading that these are the norm for taking standard pictures near you. Yet I can't focus on to anything unless it is about 6 inches away from the lenses.

So should I be seeking Nikon specific lenses, or could there be some other problem with the optics within the camera? It is a pretty simply camera, so I don't think there is any other setting I have missed for focusing through the view finder.

Thanks. :)

I am wondering if the mirror is badly out of alignment or if the focusing screen is not installed correctly, or if there is something seriously wrong with the lenses.

Does the EM appear to have been dropped or has it suffered a serious impact? Is there a dent or crack in the pentaprism?

If the image will only come to focus at six inches from the lens, there is something REALLY wrong with the body, and it needs to be examined by a repairman or somebody skilled.

To answer the question; yes, spesific cameras do require lenses that are compatible. While there are a few standard mounts, most camera companies use their own mounting design for the lenses. So to mount a lens onto your Nikon camera, you need a lens with the Nikon mount.
There are other companies besides Nikon who make compatible lenses, so it's quite normal that you have Konica and Vivitar lenses.

As mentioned, it sounds like there is something wrong with your camera/lenses (or something) so you might have to have someone look at them.

Yes, it seems this poor little EM was knocked hard on the corner where the image counter is. Hard enough that the plastic view piece was slightly pushed in. I had pulled it into place with a needle, but the corner seems to have been hit hard enough to cause the counter not to work.

With good instructions, I certainly wouldn't be afraid of aligning/replacing a required component. It wouldn't be the first time I've taken something this small apart. But if you guys firmly believe it is best to take to a pro, then I'll go ahead and see what I can do.

Is the Nikon EM even worth getting repaired? I see them on eBay between $25-$100. I'm not a heavy photographer, but am certainly an enthusiast and have been waiting a long time for a 35mm SLR to fall in my lap to play with. :)

IMO, trying to repair these old cameras is usually not worth it. Parts are probably hard to find and cost prohibitive. There are many thousands of working cameras that can be bought pretty cheaply.

Of course, if you have a rare/collectable camera, getting it repaired could be a great idea.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back