Do we really need fancy lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by greybeard, Oct 22, 2020.

1. zombiesniper

zombiesniper Furtographer Extraordinaire! Staff Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    As has been stated above by a few in different way.

Do we really need fancy lenses? Yes and no.

Depending of the application and expectation of the user a fancy lenses may or not be needed or even worth the added cost.
    I find that the more someone specializes in a particular form of photography they also find what works for them. Fancy or not.

Now having said this I own what would be called fancy lens. Do I NEED it? No. Could I get as good an image with a lesser lens? NO.

Sometimes the fancy lens DOES make a huge difference and no matter how good the photographer is, you can't overcome the glass or lack there of. I'm not talking about length of the lens or even how much light it lets in (although this becomes extremely important in a lot of situations) however the main thing is clarity, the ability to give good contrast and minimal artifacts. Most cheap lenses just DON'T compare. Some on the other hand are surprising little gems where their simplicity does in fact make for a crisp quality lens.

The real question ALL photographers NEED to ask is. Will anyone even notice the difference and is the added (whatever qualifier you want goes here) worth the extra cost. If you can't answer yes to both, then you're just spending for the satisfaction of owning a fancy lens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    My point with this is that in the range of 28-80 f/3.5-5.6, this little lens is hard to beat. I don't use it when I go birding as it would be worthless and I don't use it when I need to do serious macro but, as a "normal" FF zoom, it offers sharp, contrasty, pictures with minimal weight and cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mrca

mrca No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Alan, I think a couple old film guys often have the same thoughts on photography.

4. jonnie 5 spot

jonnie 5 spot TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not sure what constitutes 'fancy' but after using my canon kit lens, i bought a wide angel EF-S 10-18mm, and it's really a sweet piece of glass. Not for all applications, but I can't put it down. It said 'renewed' - I'm guessing that means used? refurbished? Don't know, but i paid 230 for it and I'm fine with that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. johngpt

johngpt Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I spent $58.00 USD for my Helios 44-2 lens last year. I consider it to be pretty fancy. f/2.0, a ring which widens the aperture to focus better, then twist it back to the chosen aperture. No other lens I have gives quite the same blur.
    Does fancy mean expensive?

• Like Like x 1
  6. mariah1902

mariah1902 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

The photos came out really clear, I loved these photos. Specially the colors in the background are faded yet showing the true tone and the colors of the objects are so vivid that you can actually feel the original texture. The photos are looking really real and the details are too good. You have successfully capture the details of the flowers which was the most important part.