Do you have your own darkroom?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Kuristopha, Oct 20, 2003.

1. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I try to figure $80 an hour plus materials for any type of photography work that I do, shooting, darkroom, whatever. This is pretty cheap, but I'm definately a beginner when it comes to the photo biz. And it's still a lot more than I make at my day job.

There are two local pros that I know who do all of their own BW darkroom work. They do mostly weddings and portraits, but also product photography; here in Kansas there aren't enough customers to specialize too much. They are getting paid over $900 an hour, and are able to pick and choose the work they do. One of them does 20 weddings a year and a few portrait sittings a month (40 to 50 hours of work a month, including darkroom time), and makes 150K annually (this isn't commercial photography? whatever it is, gimmie some!).

These are the people that inspire me as far as my own photography business. The big money and short hours is a no brainer, but what I really yearn for is to be in such demand that I can choose what work I want to do.

2. Kuristopha

Kuristopha TPF Noob!

Thanks for all the info guys. Gotta start thinkin bout how keep up this hobby witht he costs so high. I miss highschool when i paid my 50 bucks and got everything, chemicals, film, photo paper, and top of the line equipment for the whole year. Totally took it for granted back then. I'll be moving onto campus at school in January, so i'm trying to figure out a way to cut costs as much as possible. It's a small school and i don't thinkt hey have a photo lab...

3. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

:lol: It's Professional for sure, but not what I usually associate as commercial. Infact, a lot of photogs don't like commercial work as it is really you trying to deliver someone else's vision onto film. At least that's what I've always used the term as. Let's hope we can all get to the same point as your friends. :wink:

4. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With black and white, I think printing your own is a must. Like Ansel Adams said, the negative is the score, and the print is the performance. I know how I want my art performed, the lab does not.

Color is a different story. I don't think I'll ever print my own. Unless it's a slide/negative scan and comes out of my inkjet printer :D

5. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Havoc; thanks for showing your age. or at least your age minus a few years.

metro; i am, just as anyone else, permitted to say anthing that i want to say. whether you deem it constructive or not is your issue, not mine. you lay a general arbitrary statement out there and suggest it to be something akin to fact. without the empirical to support it, i can't see where it is in the least valid. you are welcome to email me to continue this discussion if you wish. i have no problem with anyone personally, contrary to what the omnipotent havoc says. i do have issue, however; with broad statements proposed as fact.

6. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

I have zero interest in having a personal conversation with you as I believe your attitude is of concern to the entire board and a community issue. Sometimes it's not the message but the delivery.

So, as to conform to your standards, from now on perhaps I should preface my statements with "it's my opinion...". Such as the statement, "it's my opinion that you are an ass."

*P.S., I believe I advised everyone that my statement was a testimonial from a highly regarded commercial photog. I don't think anyone would assume it fact.

7. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

hahaha. this is getting pretty funny. all he asked was if you had a darkroom or not, sheesh.