Do you prefer narrow or wide dof?

I prefer a shallow DoF.

Whatever the minimum is that allows me to have my subject in focus is what I will try to use.

DOF is dependent on the subject that is going to be focused and yea a photographer wont need different things to shot as he/she can adjust and make DOF as per your requirements.

This completely depends on what I'm shooting and what I'd identify as the "subject".

For landscape and most architecture the entire "scene" is typically the "subject" and I want a broad DOF and I'll go out of my way to get it (even using tilt-shift to alter the plane of focus).

But if I'm shooting a specific subject where the "background" really isn't the "subject" then I tend to prefer a shallow DoF.

BTW, I don't do this to "hide the background"... I grew up with the notion drilled into me that every photo has a background and the background counts. So even though the background will be blurred, I'll still select a background that will look good when blurred.

I do not often go for an ultra-shallow DoF (e.g. I don't typically shoot at 2.0 or lower... even 2.8 is used sparingly. But f/4 is used heavily.) I don't want the DoF so shallow that I worry that my subject may not be within the DoF.

Also, choice of shallow DoF is typically for "one" subject shots. If there are multiple subjects (e.g. several people in a photo) then I avoid shallow DoF so I can make sure "everyone" is well-focused.

BTW, I don't do this to "hide the background"... I grew up with the notion drilled into me that every photo has a background and the background counts. So even though the background will be blurred, I'll still select a background that will look good when blurred.
winner

Shallow or wide?

Yes.

This was taken at f/5.6 - not narrow enough :grumpy-36:

Erwin-170227-8271.jpg

This completely depends on what I'm shooting and what I'd identify as the "subject".

For landscape and most architecture the entire "scene" is typically the "subject" and I want a broad DOF and I'll go out of my way to get it (even using tilt-shift to alter the plane of focus).

But if I'm shooting a specific subject where the "background" really isn't the "subject" then I tend to prefer a shallow DoF.

I do not often go for an ultra-shallow DoF (e.g. I don't typically shoot at 2.0 or lower... even 2.8 is used sparingly. But f/4 is used heavily.) I don't want the DoF so shallow that I worry that my subject may not be within the DoF.

Also, choice of shallow DoF is typically for "one" subject shots. If there are multiple subjects (e.g. several people in a photo) then I avoid shallow DoF so I can make sure "everyone" is well-focused.
I agree with TCampbell. It always depends of what you're shooting and what are the needs i.e. of your customer. I personally try to keep the background with a nice bokeh and keep the foreground a bit wider. But remember to adjust your lense. Infos available under datacolor.com.

Just my 2 cents.

Gerhard

I'm so new but felt compelled to respond. I think Darrel nailed it, "Different KINDS of photos typically benefit from the RIGHT degree of depth of field!" I keyed in on your comment about the independent film festival organizers wanting a lot of advertising logos on the walls, bottles, cups, pamphlets and the guest to promote the companies. If you're shooting for someone and the advertising logos are what makes their business grow - it's the customer that decides the type of photo best suited for their "desired effect."

As for me, I like various DOFs depending on the type of photo and the result I hope to achieve. But, I shoot pictures for the pure enjoyment of being artistic. Then again, I'm so new to photography that I'm happy when a picture is in focus and properly exposed. I'm eager to learn and there is so much information that's relevant to each and every shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back