Do you shoot RAW or jpeg and why?

sarahburge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just curious how many people shoot in RAW. I currently use jpeg, because that is what I'm comfortable with. My business is picking up though, and I feel like I need to make the switch. It's just more that I have to learn... What about you, what do you use and why?

Honestly I never understood the big deal over using Raw until I actually saw a tutorial on it, Camera Raw and Photoshop CS5. The amount of extra info you can recover in raw is so much greater than any you can get in jpeg that finally decided it for me. I still use jpeg for things like quickie web shots for selling stuff, but for serious photography, it's definitely raw from now on. It's slower, at least with my camera, but it's worth the wait and always changing out the memory cards, I think.

I like to shoot in RAW + JPEG. I do this because I like to quickly view each photo (JPEG) and then PP the ones that I think really need it (RAW).

It's already been stated, RAW allows you to adjust so many parts of the photo and it's almost a necessity when post processing is going to be done.

Here is a good article to read...Why Raw -- Part I

I shoot RAW only. I can easily get a JPEG file from a RAW file, but you can't go the other way.

RAW files actually have an embedded JPEG, which is why we can even see them at all.

when i was taught to shoot, i was taught to use raw. so now i just stick with it. much more data to play with when u shoot raw.

I like to shoot in RAW + JPEG. I do this because I like to quickly view each photo (JPEG) and then PP the ones that I think really need it (RAW).
When you shoot in RAW only, a JPEG Basic is made and embedded in the RAW data file so there is something to show on the back of the camera. In fact, when you shoot RAW + JPEG, 2 JPEGs are made, the one embedded in the RAW file and the one saved according to the camera's capture setting.

A RAW data file is not an image, it's just ones and zeros.

A RAW data file has to be converted before it can be viewed as an image and that is what Adobe Camera RAW, and other RAW converters do.

Most reactions

Back