Do you use auto ISO?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know a lot of people say you can't be a "real photographer" if you use auto ISO, but I don't see the big deal. Sensors and new processors are so good with high ISO these days. I forgot sometimes that I have a 35mm sensor and can push the ISO and still get clean images.

I've been messing around with it for a few days and I find it to be doing a pretty good job selecting a right shutter speed and ISO ratio in aperture priority mode. Sure sometimes I don't like the settings it automatically chose, so I'll pop into manual mode. Not a big deal. I'd only find auto ISO handy when outside shooting or on the street, but for indoors or studio type stuff, I'd probably use manual mode or at least disable auto ISO.

So what are your thoughts on auto ISO? Do you use it?

In a studio environment (or anytime I use a flash) I set my ISO manually usually to 200. I use 200 because my lightmeter only goes down to 200.

but outside, etc I'm in AUTO ISO with a MAX of 6400.
And I normally shoot in Manual so I can set the Shutter and Aperture that is needed rather than let the camera try to decide what is best for me.

For what I shoot, I do not need AutoISO. However, from what I learned, it is a good tool for Sports shooter.

A sports shooter can set the shutter speed he/she prefer to freeze the action, then set the aperture for the desire DoF. And then set the ISO to AutoISO for the ever changing light condition.

I know a lot of people say you can't be a "real photographer" if you use

Anyone who says that about anything is trying to justify his/her own way of doing things and, without exception, is a moron.

I know a lot of people say you can't be a "real photographer" if you use auto ISO...
do you really?

Seriously, I have. Mainly from when I was a viewer of Jared Polin..lol.

Lol, well my thought process is if you want to be a "real" photographer, you do what you need to do to get the shot. Yes, I use auto-ISO in certain situations, I don't use it in others. In some shooting situations it's great to have, lets me concentrate on more important matters when I don't have time to worry about adjusting the ISO.

If that makes me a "faux" photographer in some people's eyes, well so be it I guess.

Quick pointer....You said "Sure sometimes I don't like the settings it automatically chose".......Two words, 'Exposure Compensation".

If the photos are coming out to bright, dial the exposure comp down a bit, no need to switch to manual just to get the exposure right. The compensation is there for a reason, use it :)

Then again, you may be referring to the shutter speed being way to slow? To allow in more light to compensate for the exposure? If so, in the Auto Iso settings, there should be a minimum shutter speed, I don't like mine dropping below 1/125...Of course there are times where I have gone down to 1/15 but I don't recommend it haha. (hand held)

I've used it for high school sports and birds with good success.

You have pictures of birds playing high school sports? Mega cool...

Lol

No, I didn't get the change of time on that one and missed that game. I showed up late and the final was the Raptors 48 and the Deer 47. They said it came down to a missed extra point try, someone from the sideline couldn't wait and pulled that trigger on the 10 pointer that was kicking that day.

You have pictures of birds playing high school sports? Mega cool...

Lol

No, I didn't get the change of time on that one and missed that game. I showed up late and the final was the Raptors 48 and the Deer 47. They said it came down to a missed extra point try, someone from the sideline couldn't wait and pulled that trigger on the 10 pointer that was kicking that day.

Lol

The standard settings of my camera are:
- Aperture priority
- Auto ISO 100-6400
- Spot Metering
- AF-C
- 3D Tracking

Quick pointer....You said "Sure sometimes I don't like the settings it automatically chose".......Two words, 'Exposure Compensation".

Exposure Whosywhaty?

Is that one of the super secret terms only real photographers know? Lol

If the photos are coming out to bright, dial the exposure comp down a bit, no need to switch to manual just to get the exposure right. The compensation is there for a reason, use it :)

Then again, you may be referring to the shutter speed being way to slow? To allow in more light to compensate for the exposure? If so, in the Auto Iso settings, there should be a minimum shutter speed, I don't like mine dropping below 1/125...Of course there are times where I have gone down to 1/15 but I don't recommend it haha. (hand held)

Strangely enough I've found VR/VC/OS to not be a very useful feature for me personally, at least not in most cases. I prefer a higher shutter speed in most of the shooting situations I'm in, so I'm rarely if ever shooting at a shutter speed low enough to where the stabilization feature would actually make any difference. In those cases where I am shooting at very low shutter speeds at least for me it seems it's almost always a situation where I'm going for a long exposure and using a tripod anyway.

In my indoor soccer photography my images are ranging from ISO 900 to 6400 in a matter of seconds depending upon where the action is at.

I'd hate to try that in manual ISO.
I would need a wheel dedicated to ISO that required no other button to be pressed. And I would still have shots with the wrong exposure. The hot spots are near the lights which point up to the white bubble but are near the field of play. I can easily see being in the wrong high ISO and having images blown out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back