Do you want to help your fellow photographers?

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well do you ?

Well here is your chance.

If you've experience in photography of any field, be it specific or generalist; be you a working professional, an amateur or retired pro; film or digital (or both). Regardless of your background if you've got the knowhow and the willingness to teach and help others you might well want to check out the Mentor Scheme here on the forums.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/125099-official-mentors-bio-list.html

This is a totally free scheme which runs with the intent of linking up those who wish to teach with those who wish to learn on the forums. As you can see from the thread linked above there are already a number of active mentors, but we are always after more willing to teach those who want to learn in a more focused and smaller one to one environment (online of course).

If you want to take part as one offering to teach all you have to do is send me a private message with details of a bio to describe yourself, your photography experiences, your portfolio and what you are willing to offer students. You can see the examples in the thread above for a more structured guideline on what is expected.
Remember we don't expect you to take on infinite students, each mentor is free to set their own limits and once your limit is reached a quick pm to myself and your advert in the bio thread will be hidden from view until such time as you have a free slot (and of course wish to return to offering your help).

If you want to take part as a student all you have to do is visit the above thread and read through the mentor bios - then send a pm with your request to the mentor in question (each mentor has a link to their profile just under their name on their post in the linked thread). Do take care to give as much info you can upfront as so the mentor can get as clear a picture of yourself as possible. Remember its their choice if they wish to give you any mentoring help.

I would also say that whilst the scheme itself aims to hook up interested parties together it is greatly encouraged that the forums be a part of the process as well. Whilst you might be focusing your critique and advice upon another, do try to bring it forum side as well. Have them use the galleries to show their work and then give your advice there. This way not only do the students benefit, but others also have a chance to gain from the increased interaction and more in-depth discussions.

Are Alpha & Chris Walrath still active? I never see them posting to the forum and they seem to be the only 'film people' on there. Wouldn't call myself an expert, but I think I have a good idea about what I'm doing...

Not sure if there's even any demand for that sort of thing... (Film mentorship. And, I'm probably not even the best choice on this forum, but I probably do have the time for it...)

Last edited:
Far as I know Alpha pokes his nose in from time to time but is just not forum active at the moment - but he's been logged in last month according to his profile so he's certainly still around to read and respond to pms

christopher walrath - I'm not sure - his last recorded activity was last year and I've a feeling (I'll have to check my pms in the morning) he might have slipped aside so a slight ? over him. I have removed several who haven't been on the site in ages so the those present should be responding to pms.

As for demand - put yourself up and find out. Hopefully with a bit more drive behind the scheme again and we will see more demand for mentors :)

I like that you moderators have set this up. Although I am not currently in a Student/Mentor relationship, I appreciate those mentors that have volunteered their time and expertise. For that, thank you! And I may be contacting one of you sometime soon when I get a bit more focused! :lol:

On a side note, I noticed the word do***ent is still being sensored....

Actually, mentoring and moderating have nothing to do with each other. It's 100% co-in-cee-dince that a couple of us have become moderators since Overread first "created" the program.

Just to add that SCraig (Scott Craig) has been added as a new mentor to the scheme - he's got one slot for a student open so don't delay in applying!

gary.. can I be your grasshopper?

And we also welcome GsGary to the scheme for -- real ale drinking mentoring ;)

This is awesome! I want a mentor...sign me up as a student please :)

tmjjk - there's no student list as such - its up to students to pitch to the mentors on the list. So have a look through and see who would suit your needs the best and then send them a private message to inquire.

I would like to focus on portrait and family photography... with the intent of eventually making it a profession... Thank you very much!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back