Dockside osprey

Arkanjel Imaging

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Taken at one of the local fishing islands.

4706534057_5cd46eb8c6_b.jpg

4707175436_484674ff45_b.jpg

In #1, why did you decide to not crop for just the bird and it's perch?

I'm not sure how the triangluar piece fits into the image.

For me it makes a nice strong image of the Osprey much weaker.

In contrast, #2 is a fairly strong image, but not as strong as #1 could be.

I think the perch is a very interesting shape. I find it strange that the bottom part is not in focus, however, since it seems to occupy the same plane of focus as the top part. Is that due to photoshop trickery?

I think #2 is boring because there is no ... context, no environment to put the bird into, except the empty, cloudless, dull sky.

Square crop for #1 could be interesting. Like, crop the bottom 1/3-1/2. If it was in focus I would not suggest the crop.

I think number one's fine as-is (aside from the blurring as mentioned).

As for the lack of context in the second, I don't think it can't really be helped. It's a good shot though, exposure's fine and it's sharp where it should be.

What is that he's sitting on?

The perch the osprey is sitting on looks like a range marker or channel marker on a waterway,and as such, it gives context to the osprey's native environment near water. I wish the bottom of the range marker were not softened in post-processing. It's a pretty good monochrome conversion. I think cropping the first photo tightly would lose a lot of context. The second photo is okay--nothing great, but pretty typical of an osprey as seen from below.

Thanks so much for the input. The perch is indeed a channel marker. I just liked the texture of the rust against the smooth sky. Ill try to work a couple up with a tighter crop and without the vignette blurring on the first one.

Here is a tighter edit. And I have to make a correction. I passed the place I shot these and the perch is a rusty plate at the top of a shrimp boats outrigger.

4709757996_5db9da3146.jpg

Most reactions

Back