Doctors and cameras? I think it's a great mix!

docphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello TPF! I'm currently a first year medical student ready to finally get my hands on a dSLR! I've always been a great admirer of photography (ie. flickr.com), but I'm finally ready to give my G10 away and pick up some of the real stuff out there. I've somehow convinced myself to get a Canon but I'm having a reallllly tough time deciding between the 40D (maybe even the 50D) and the T1i! I think it's the whole idea of having the option to shoot video...

To share a short story about that, just recently I borrowed my friend's dSLR for a week (Xsi) when I went on vacation in the Caribbean. We took a deep sea fishing trip and on our way out into the ocean 6-7 dolphins appeared right off the bow completely out of the blue! While the pictures came out great (100x better than the point and shoot some of my friends used) I think I would have loved it even more if I had a video of the dolphins jumping in and out of the water! At any rate, that's my current dilemma so any input would be greatly appreciated haha.

Thanks for reading and I hope to chat and post pics soon!

My first thought about a doctor and photography would mean that you could buy whatever you would want... so go for the 5d Mark II. :)

Its a personal choice really. I'd go with the 40d over the T1i, but thats me. If video is a huge thing, look into the T1i.

Or if you aren't sold on Canon, look at the Nikon D90

haha since you would be making so much money in near future so I guess the answer is: 5d MkIII~ lens would be 24-70mm L and then you are pretty much WELL set for a beginner

hahah well 200K in debt is waiting for me in a few years, and pretty crappy pay as an intern/resident/fellow for another 10 years or so after that, so nothing's gonna be glamorous for a while... I think I'll try to stick to equipment that's worth less than my car for now =)

You raise an interesting point though, do you all think something like a 40D/50D would be too advanced for a novice? Because I sure know anything that has "mark" in its name sure will be! thanks!

I believe the said 'first year medical student'...so it may be a lone while before they start making the kind of money that allows them to buy the best photo gear.

But the idea holds true if you go to any of the popular photography hot spots...for example, if you go to shoot grizzly bears catching salmon in Katmai National Park, Alaska...you will likely find yourself among several doctors with very expensive photo gear...and in some cases, some actual photographic knowledge and good technique ;)

You raise an interesting point though, do you all think something like a 40D/50D would be too advanced for a novice? Because I sure know anything that has "mark" in its name sure will be! thanks!
Not at all. They are more expensive than the rebel line...but they have much better build quality and ergonomics IMO.

Not at all. They are more expensive than the rebel line...but they have much better build quality and ergonomics IMO.

Yeah, on the whole I think the xxD's are totally worth the money over a rebel. I've taken photos with a 40D and a Xsi and the latter really does feel like "a toy"- I'm assuming it's the plastic vs. magnesium body and the smaller size of the rebel. The pentaprism in the xxD's also make a difference to me when looking through the viewfinder, and I like the idea of having 2x the fps rate... I'm pretty much sold on getting either the 40/50D but I'm a bit wary that the 40 is a couple of years old already and conversely that the 50D is a few hundred dollars more expensive and without any real big jumps in improvement other than a higher res screen and microadjustment of your lenses on your camera and other bits like that...

I'm buying either one of the cameras in May from B+H so I'm hoping that there's going to be a price drop by the time I get home! Is anyone else optimistic for me? I don't have a grasp yet on how the camera market works, because it seems like earlier this year, (or it might have been late 2008) the body for the 40D was selling for under 800!!! Now it's selling for $889 at B+H... stupid recession. I just have this funny feeling that if I don't pick something up right now prices will just keep going up.

Last edited:
The camera world is rather in pains at the moment for the west - the $ and the £ have both devalued, but the Yen has not - thus the prices are now going up for USA and UK (as well as for other nations as well) but quite a lot in some cases, to reflect this change in the reletive values in the different currancies

Most reactions

Back